Saturn Spot

Saturn Spot (http://www.saturnspot.com/index.php)
-   Saturn ION (http://www.saturnspot.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   need help key won't come out (http://www.saturnspot.com/showthread.php?t=31427)

ginger 02-14-2011 11:17 PM

need help key won't come out

hi all. just got 2006 ion 2 with 13k miles. great little car.
problem is sometimes key won't turn all the way off n can't get the key out. bin told it's common problem on these. anybody know the fix?
thanks, dave :ilovss:

RjION 02-15-2011 01:56 AM

Replace the ignition cylinder and key, part number 15785084 bought from your nearest GM dealer that is now doing Saturn service. OR you could check "Saturn Parts" - Saturn Parts & Saturn Accessories Online Catalog and Genuine Saturn Parts and Accessories

kristin6128 03-28-2012 02:42 AM

I had this problem a few times with my 03. Turned out there was a plunger button on the underside of the steering wheel. When you press the button and turn the key, it will turn all the way and release. I found it in my user manual.

RjION 03-29-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristin6128 (Post 306055)
I had this problem a few times with my 03. Turned out there was a plunger button on the underside of the steering wheel. When you press the button and turn the key, it will turn all the way and release. I found it in my user manual.

That gets the key out ............... it does not fix the problem.

ChronosVII 08-18-2014 04:01 PM

If its getting stuck in the ACC position, get yourself one of these! It even says in the reviews that it will fix the problem, i ordered one myself but havent put it in cause i was having the same issue

Searched this on Amazon:
ACDelco 15793413 ACDELCO OE SERVICE SOLENOID ASM,A/TRNS SHFT LK CONT

derfderf 10-27-2014 05:06 AM

very interesting -- not only did GM use ignition switches that killed people, they seemed to have cheaped out on the interlock assembly too. I am not an Ion guy but if it's an Ion covered under the recall you obviously get a new ign sw for free---but if the amazon reviews are to be believed then personally I'd swap out both the ign sw and the interlock assembly.

Looking forward to a confirmation from a forum member that this interlock assembly does the trick.......

goaliemo 08-12-2015 08:21 AM

There is a little keyhole door under the steering wheel, open that, and there is an emergency release for the key. All Ions have it.

Floridagoldengirl 09-30-2016 02:17 AM

This did not work for me, my key is still stuck. It was stuck while running, I had to remove the fuel relay fuse and disconnect the battery cables to shut down the engine but still can not get the key out of the ignition. It is stuck in the run position.

derfderf 10-03-2016 08:49 AM

Well that sucks.

Have you tried working the brake and shifting gears while trying to rotate the key?
My thought is that maybe the brake interlock is jammed up in the park position and wull not allow you to rotate the key because it thinks it is still in a forward or reverse gear, instead of park.

The battery needs to be hooked up for the interlock to function.

Honestly, I'm an S car guy, but I'm blindly assuming your car is an automatic AND that an Ion interlock system could conceivably get stuck like I described.

In fact, I don't know that I've ever heard of an Ion key getting stuck in Run.

If you can't figure it out, i suppose your best option is a GM dealer (chevy) for the ignition switch AND the ignition cylinder.

After removal (locksmith) and reinstallation, you can do the security system relearn procedure to get the PCM, BCM, and ignition switch all on the same page so the car will start n run.

Floridagoldengirl 10-03-2016 11:45 PM

Thanks for your reply, it turned out the local gm dealer had it towed to their shop to do the appropriate repairs. I guess it has 3 recalls! Everything is covered including the tow. Thank goodness!