Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn Concept Cars

Old 02-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
live2drive

Default Have you seen the Flextreme?

I found this news story to be interesting. I really think GM is trying very hard to be at the forefront of eco-friendly automobile technology. Here's an excerpt with link to full story at bottom:

GM's new partnership with the company that makes the Segway two-wheeled personal transporters shows up in the Saturn Flextreme electric concept car that integrates an onboard storage and charging system for two Segways. Drivers can park in a convenient location and unload a Segway to get to their ultimate destination.

These Segways have retractable handlebars that allow for more compact storage, and the car's cargo area has ramps for loading and unloading. Inside the cargo space the Segways attach to a docking station where they recharge while the Flextreme batteries charge.

"Saturn has a legacy of environmental responsibility, so products like this Flextreme concept with its integrated Segway PTs showcase our continued pursuit of consumer-focused, green technologies," said Jill Lajdziak, Saturn's general manager.

General Motors is aiming for a driving range of 444 miles on a single charge from the Saturn Flextreme, and the company wants this hybrid to go into production by 2010-2011.

Full story can be found at

Shades of Green at the North American International Auto Show

There's also a good picture of the new Flextreme on that page. It was interesting reading, I thought.

live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
Spoot

I am sure that by the time it comes to production it will look nothing like that. That is the sort of thing that in the mid eighties we were expecting to drive come 2000, all spacey looking and of course it never happened because it's just too sci-fi. So by then I would expect it to me more toned down, less bubble like.

Either way, it's a wonderful idea and I hope that by the time it comes to fruition it still has the Segway PT.
Spoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
live2drive

Default I kind of like it

I didn't think it was that bubble like but you're right, I'm sure it will be toned down quite a bit before hitting the general market. I think they'll keep the Segway PTs, though, as it's the core innovation in the Flextreme.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
madmon

I think I want one just to have one. And yes I remember all the hype about what we would see come 2000, I am still waiting for my flying car!
madmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
Joyrider

If nothing else I find this Flextreme to be a very interesting idea, and I hope it can be brought to the market eventually. To get 444 miles on only one charge sounds especially impressive, and I can only hope it works as well as they want it to.

Certainly, I am looking forward to watching the Flextreme's progress.
Joyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:10 AM   #6
perfectvue

The best thing about concepts that never make it to production is the fact tat they make waves and waves make people pay attention and try to make technology progress as well. So while I may never be able to buy a Flextreme, dockable Segways might be a fun thing to look out for in the future.
perfectvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
Spoot

I agree that the distance per charge is rather awesome, and would make this a feasible car for the average person. However I would be concerned that the battery might deteriorate like a laptop or other re-chargeable battery does, and you end up getting 2 miles a charge in the end.
Spoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:10 AM   #8
Joyrider

One of my primary concerns about the Flextreme is that it may be completely overhauled by the time of it's release, to a point that it is no longer as appealing to consumers by the time it finally hits the market.

Things sound especially good right now, but anything can change with it over the next few years. Depending on the test results, the whole project could be scrapped.
Joyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:49 AM   #9
epsilon

I saw a picture of the Saturn Flextreme. I wonder if they will make a 4 door model so that my entourage can travel with me. I am not a big fan of the new headlights and the front bumper design.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote