Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Community > Rants And Raves!

Old 04-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
IONeyes
Banned

Default Rant: 2003 Ion Fuel Economy

People, it's bad.

Bought it used for my daughter to drive to school, with 95K. Car runs like a top, no complaints on driveability, power, cold start or any other typical GM complaints.

But, the gas mileage is terrible -- 13 average mpg.

I think it is because the car goes right to the local high school about 1 1/2 miles away and never gets into closed loop operation. But sheesh ... 13?!?!?

Anyone else have this problem?

IONeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Ssicarman

That is more than bad mileage.

Fill the tank and give it a good highway run, 100 plus miles and refill the tank at the end of the drive. Then figure out what the MPG is. I think that yuou are right on thinking that the low MPG is due to the short run to school and back.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
RjION

2007 ION-3 auto with the larger 2.4L 175 hp engine average over the last 26 tanks driving to and from work was 29.009 mpg. We have had 7 ION's in the family, and they get about the same.
Whats going on with your 2.2L 145hp ION could be anyones guess. Dirty air filter, needs tune up, driving habit, tire inflation or a combination of all.

Maybe some one is helping themselves to her gas.

Shut up and drive.
I have SL2, SW2, & ION pictures in the gallery under SaturnSdn & RjION

Last edited by RjION; 09-09-2014 at 12:02 PM..
RjION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
GunnRunn12.00slsohc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjION View Post
2007 ION-3 auto with the larger 2.4L 175 hp engine average over the last 26 tanks driving to and from work was 29.009 mpg.
Whats going on with your 2.2L 145hp ION could be anyones guess. Dirty air filter, needs tune up, driving habit, tire inflation or a combination of all.
I agree here. as a mechanic i see its almost always a combonation of things, unless somehow u have a major problem that doesnt affect driveablility or signal a check engine light which is very unlikely, check your basics, tire pressure, air filter and oil. also you can be doing damage in the long run by not ever letting it warm up. you will get contaminated oil quickly and leaves several things susceptible to failure. i would let it warm up for 5 mins in idle before driving.
GunnRunn12.00slsohc is offline   Reply With Quote