Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Modifications > Performance Modifications

Old 01-23-2006, 07:54 PM   #21
kwn306
Banned

bldegle2,

That's what I like to see a press in the living room, reminds me of rebuilding a VW motor on the kitchen table in the late 60's.

kwn306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:47 PM   #22
bldegle2

okay,

dogbone 101.......................

if you have the proper dogs (not the cheapo one shown in da pic) the center of the big end is suspended with two rubber arms on each side holding it in place.

the rubber arms get cracks in them, allowing for even more movement, it fact, mine were moving so bad i had to reweld the CAI hanger at the battery, the flex did the original in.

also, as one may note, the inserts at the small end have a sleeve that is just way to big, bigger than the bolt for sure, this leads to additional engine movement.

as far as vibration goes, in the last two week i have done two Seafoam applications and most recently, yesterday, an MMO soak. while i had the plugs out, i noticed one had a much larger gap than the rest (i am using old plugs until i deem no more internal engine cleanup). i also had a slight vibration at idle, so being the good mechinaic i am, i set the gap to .037 on all of them (i like the gap just a bit tight) and reinstalled.

guess what, now the engine idles even smoother (had to be the plug gap) and i litterly don't feel these new dogs anymore at idle, vibration gone....as i stated before, never a problem at speed.

anyway, here is my theory on comparing the Twistec version to the Prothane insert version, the twistec has much less urethane, thus less 'forgiveness', thus more vibration........

the Prothane inserts have much more 'meat', especially at the big end, and metal bolt inserts that fit the mounting bolts. the big end has enough 'give' because of its large size (allowing for a small smidgen of give) to minimize the idle vibrations........

a good compromise for street driving.

anyway, Drprelude should be getting his soon, then when i get the old dogs back, Bobo is next, and so on..................

you must be one old dude if you rebuilt a Vdub back in the 60's (i am 58 meself), hehe.........

baldy
97 SW2, sleeper w/tricks, 56mm TB, CAI, oil catcher, plasma booster, front/REAR strut braces, drilled/slotted front/REAR, Eibachs, KYB2's, 225/40/17, unorthodox underdrive, SPS short shifter. SPS poly suspension and True HID lighting the way....
bldegle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:41 PM   #23
bobolicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2
okay,

dogbone 101.......................

if you have the proper dogs (not the cheapo one shown in da pic) the center of the big end is suspended with two rubber arms holding it in place.

the rubber arms get cracks in them, allowing for even more movement, in fact, mine were moving so bad i had to reweld the CAI hanger back to the piping at the battery, the flex did the original in.

also, as one might note, the inserts at the small end have a sleeve that is just way to big, bigger than the bolt for sure, this leads to additional engine movement.

as far as vibration goes, in the last two weeks i have done two Seafoam applications and most recently, yesterday, an MMO soak, all on the SW2. while i had the plugs out, i noticed one had a much larger gap than the rest (i am using old plugs until i deem no more internal engine cleanup). i also had a slight vibration at idle, so being the good mechinaic i am, i set the gap to .037 on all of them (i like the gap just a bit tight) and reinstalled.

guess what, now the engine idles even smoother (had to be the plug gap) and i litterly don't feel these new dogs anymore at idle, vibration gone....as i stated before, never a problem at speed.

anyway, here is my theory on comparing the Twistec version to the Prothane insert version, the twistec has much less urethane, thus less 'forgiveness', thus more vibration........

the Prothane inserts have much more 'meat', especially at the big end, and metal bolt inserts that fit the mounting bolts. the big end has enough 'give' because of its large size (allowing for a small smidgen of give) to minimize the idle vibrations........

a good compromise for street driving.

anyway, Drprelude should be getting his soon, then when i get the old dogs back, Bobo is next, and so on..................

you must be one old dude if you rebuilt a Vdub back in the 60's (i am 58 meself), hehe.........]

sorry for the double postage, but the edit function has ceased working here.

baldy
very well said. i can see the light now. cant wait to get my dogbones. i'm going to get them installed @ saturn [friend works there] and ill send my old ones back to you.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:17 AM   #24
blanksaturn

is there a prothane for the big passenger side engine mount? & only 2 dogbones correct?
blanksaturn is offline   Reply With Quote