Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > How Do You Fix This?

Old 11-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
elainebab5
Banned

Hey from The Lowcountry,
I am attempting to unplug my sunroof drain tubes of my 2005 Ion 3 (which I LOVE bought May 2011 with 47k miles now at 81k LOVE my car). I've had wet seats and puddles for about a year, and I couldn't pinpoint the problem until finding this forum - so a big THANK YOU to all posters. I pulled clear instructions and am now following them but they're for an older model.
Passenger side: I've got the kick panel off, pulled back the padding, unclipped the electrical from the body. I started here because I think this tube has a major clog - I only get puddles when it rains hard, lighter slower rains don't cause a leak. And I've had leaks on both sides of the car at the headliner near the window AND on the floor, so I"ve got to clear both sides.
But now I'm stuck. the "grommet" that's described as "rubber" feels like metal. It's hard and shiney and I can't see any clear way of getting it off to get to the drain tube. See pictures for my exact situation.
I'm not afraid to poke around mechanically because I know my limits but this is new territory for me. Any help, advice or comments would be appreciated. I do have a mechanic that I trust but haven't had to use him since I have a car that was made in this CENTURY (another reason I love it) PLUS I know this job would be a PITA for his shop and he would charge extra for that (rightly so). I need to diy to save the money. Help !
Thanks in advance,
Elaine

Attached Images
File Type: png drainfix 1.png (109.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: png drainfix 2.png (114.2 KB, 24 views)
elainebab5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
Ssicarman

Welcome to the Board.

The pictures are small enough that I can't tell what you are talking about. What you are doing may not be the sunroof hoses.
This is part of the instructions from the service manual for the front hose replacement.

•Remove the front drain hose from the sunroof module.
•Disengage the sunroof drain hose from the attachment points on the windshield pillar.
•Remove the carpet retainer. Refer to Carpet Retainer Replacement - Front in Interior Trim.
•Pull back the front lower insulator.
•Remove the hinge pillar inner insulators to gain access to the front drain hose routing area inside the hinge pillar below the I/P.
•Pull the front drain hose out of the front lower hinge pillar.
•Tie a 3-foot length of string onto the lower end of the front drain hose.
•Remove the hose through the top of the I/P. Do NOT pull the string all of the way out.
•Disconnect the string from the hose.

I suspect that you have not removed the hinge pillar insulators to get to the bottom of the hoses.

You stated that you have leaks at the headliner. I would suspect that what you actually have leaking or leaking the most is the drain hoses at the headliner. they have likely come off of the sunroof module. this is the more common thing to happen on these cars.
You can partially lower the headliner at the front corners to saccess the drain hoses.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
elainebab5
Banned

Default Leaking at headliner and onto floor ...

Thanks for the quick reply!!
I followed the size requirements for the pix, sorry about the size.
And what I think you're saying is that this is *not* a way to get at the bottom of the drain tubes on a saturn, correct? I'm such a noob that I may have used instructions for a differrent make and model of car.
I've read the post that had the instructions you're talking about and knew that was too much for me, which is why I tried what I *thought* was way of accessing the bottom part of the drain tubes. I going to put it back together. I thought you had to take the whole headliner off - thanks for the info on partially lowering it - I'm going to try that next weekend.
So after I lower the headliner and find the drain hoses, I should first check to make sure they're still attached. If they aren't, how do I make sure they won't come off again after I reattached them? If they are, should I then use an air compressor to unclog them (no more than 35 psi), or snake a wire carefully down the tube? And what kind of wire - does it have to be a special kind?
I hope I'm explaining correctly and please know you can ask any question.
Thanks for your help I really appreciate it,
Elaine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0300.jpg (294.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0293.jpg (292.2 KB, 9 views)
elainebab5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:03 AM   #14
Ssicarman

I would start with checking the hoses at the sunroof module. Once you can see the hoses and if they are off reattach them and use a zip tie/cable tie to clamp the hose on.
Once the hoses are in place trickle into the sunroof track area and see if the water will drain out properly.