Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > How Do You Fix This? > Technical Issues

Old 09-24-2004, 08:38 PM   #11
s3aturnr

all i know is; i just went to the dealership parts counter and told them what i did. after they stopped laughing, they gave me three quarts of this red stuff in a black container and told me to be careful to not overfill it. i was careful...

s3aturnr

Old 09-27-2004, 05:12 PM   #12
ian12

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3aturnr
until i thought i blew out my diff pin, i had NEVER changed my manual trans fluid. when i drained it to take the axles out, it was the CLEANEST, nicest, newest fluid that i've ever seen come out of an automobile and my car had a little over 166,000 miles on it at the time. i would say that, unless you have problems with leakage, you might not ever need to change that fluid. i don't think it breaks down like oil does, because it's not exposed to combustion...

just my 2 cents...

s3aturnr
actually the movement of the gears breaks the fluid down. the trans fluid will thin out and wont lubricate after so long causing the grinding of metal to metal. change it every 30,000 miles or more within that time since it only takes like 2.5 quarts its a cheap easy thing to do.

also like ssicarman said, atf is automatic tranmission fluid, dexron is automatic transmission fluid for gms. now there are atf fluids and dexron fluids which are two different things but both are automatic transmission fluid. if you dont put dexron back into your saturn you could cause damage to the transmission, i would be more worried about that in an automatic then a manual, but still dexron is formulated to keep the transmission running, use of anything else could result in damage!!!!! so why change when you could do more damage? pick up whats needed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ian12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:45 PM   #13
jeep45238

Actually, ssicarman just said that Dexron is ATF under GM's name plate.

Like 87 octane from BP or Shell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jeep45238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 12:42 PM   #14
shortlid

Default Redline MTF

Anyone put Redline MTF in there manual trannys? It is a syn. lube that is suppose to replace ATF in a manual tranny! I used Redline on a VW Vanagon Camper and it was AMAZING how much beter it shifted!!
shortlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:30 AM   #15
Southern Gardener

Default DEXRON III compared to DEXRON VI in 5F SL

Synthetic ATF I have read can sometimes upset synchronizers in manual transmissions. My SL 5F has just under 160,000 and to my knowledge has always had conventional Dexron (III type). I plan to drain and refill with fresh name brand Dexron-Mercon which is currently Dexron III and backwards compatible. Despite my wanting to upgrade to synthetic i.e. Dexron VI, I am worried that it may be too slippery for the synchronizer rings to properly function. I am no expert but to be safe, I'm just going to stay with non synthetic since I'm having no problems now and just afraid I may cause problems by changing from what's working now. Just my two cents worth.
Southern Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:50 AM   #16
Ssicarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Gardener View Post
Synthetic ATF I have read can sometimes upset synchronizers in manual transmissions. My SL 5F has just under 160,000 and to my knowledge has always had conventional Dexron (III type). I plan to drain and refill with fresh name brand Dexron-Mercon which is currently Dexron III and backwards compatible. Despite my wanting to upgrade to synthetic i.e. Dexron VI, I am worried that it may be too slippery for the synchronizer rings to properly function. I am no expert but to be safe, I'm just going to stay with non synthetic since I'm having no problems now and just afraid I may cause problems by changing from what's working now. Just my two cents worth.
Are you aware that you are putting your two cents in on a ten year old thread? New record by the way. Just saying.