Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn S-Series > Saturn S-Series - Technical

Old 08-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #11
Ace_Savant
Banned

Default However

The two units should be compatible. The project is a bit of an ordeal, though. I ended up having to drill extra drain holes in my track after I used the kit, because water would over flow from the actual slide section of the rail guides over into the cabin.

Prepare for a lot of swearing, cursing, and promising to "Find the guy who designed this thing!"

Oh, and don't forget to put the rail guide caps back on the lead hoses when you finish. If you do, when you go to open the sunroof it will appear not to work (Speaking from expirience, D'oh!)

Ace_Savant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
quagmeyer
Banned

Default My experience

Originally posted here: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho....php?p=1800342

Wow. What a beat down project. Not sure anyone is even reading/looking at this forum anymore, but just in case (and like I promised), I'll let you know how it went. I had originally purchased just the guide rails. Like all the other forums I read said..if you hear the clicking noise when you try to open up the sunroof, the motor is fine. So I bought the rails and installed them. Turns out my motor was bad as well. Got a new motor off of eBay for $40. Installed it and tested out the sunroof - wouldn't go up on the left side. Pissed! I'm decent with tools and installing the guide rails took 9 hours. So punishing.

I called Rick from Sunroof Doctor with the intention of pleading with him to send me the entire sunroof module and somehow reimburse me the $150 for the rails I purchased by me returning my old module with the new rails (which I installed) with it. Before I could explain the situation, he interrupted me and told me he would refund me the $150 and send me the brand new module for $200 as I long as I return the old module. I received it in 2 days and installed it in less than 2 hours. I returned the old one to him with a prepaid label he sent me.

My advised to you (whoever is still reading or interested)...buy the entire module right away. It's 1000% easier and comes pre-installed with the new metal rails and pre-greased. The most difficult part was remembering how to put the headliner together after a couple weeks of my car being disassembled

Here are a couple pictures of before and after:

http://is.gd/PzSPso

http://is.gd/rtl7js

Please message me if you have any questions! I'll be more than happy to answer anything.

People often assume that us Saturn loyalist own these cars because we can't afford anything else. Not true. I've recently bought my wife a brand new Ford Escape but I absolutely love my 2001 Saturn SC2 a lot more than I ever imaged I would. It has 160,000 miles on it but have never had any issues and plan on driving it for as long as I can. Fixing the sunroof only adds to my overall love for this car.
quagmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:03 AM   #13
derfderf

Nice tutorial on Saturn sunroof guide rail repair.
I'm not even sure full saturn sunroofs units are still available, let alone the sunroof parts if you try to do it piecemeal. Might be for the 3rd gen S cares. Don't know if they changed designs through the gens....

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote