Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn S-Series > Saturn S-Series - Technical

Old 04-27-2015, 08:05 PM   #1
far_from_sane

Default Shift cable bushing

Is this the part that I need to replace shift cable bushing? I just replaced this less than 3 months ago, what would cause it to keep breaking? This will be the third time overall I have replaced this, first one lasted 150,000+, second one lasted about 3 years, last one like I said less than 3 months. I got the other 2 at a junk yard it doesn't look like the same part that is for sale here

http://m.napaonline.com/parts/PartsD...411_0374022681

I found a different one online but it won't get here until. Friday.

"Dee-troit Basketbaaalll"
far_from_sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:28 AM   #2
goaliemo
Community Moderator

I am not as familiar with the s-cars, but I found this in a quick search. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2815463...lpid=82&chn=ps
And delrin is a good brand.
As for replacing, my only guess would be hard shifting or not installed correctly. Not trying to blame you, but these pieces are also made of plastic. So that could be the culprit as well.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:29 AM   #3
derfderf

the real issue is that your shifter cables have stretched and you really DO need to replace the cables along with the bushing. Replacing the bushing alone just puts the same amount of stress on the replacement bushing as was there on the one that just broke. And while Delrin may be a good material to make these out of, this is a $25 holdover fix until IT breaks. This is why Saturn/GM does not sell the OEM bushing separate from the cables -- otherwise they have to listen to the blowhards who want to know why it broke right away. (you are not included -- you're asking an intelligent question and for help).

Do not by Dorman aftermarket cables -- they are worse than used S car cables.

If you plan to run your Saturn into the ground, put out a few Benjamins on the cables + bushing from GM while they are still available. They revised the design so that the bushing now has a bolt attaching it to the shifter to help with stress relief.

If you absolutely refuse to spend the money, look up saturnbushingman on ebay and go to his store.

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote