Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn ION

Old 08-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
Scarrie
Banned

Default 2005 Ion suspension noises...

... I have an '05 Ion Coupe that I dearly love but for a couple years now, I've had a mystery crunchy sound from the front end when going over bumps in the winter time. It sounds like walking over ice that cracks under you.
Now that has expanded to a clunking sound from the front end that happens more in bad weather (rain/snow) and most often when driving over rough pavement and turning.
The car has passed Virginia state inspection just last month. It has brand new tires on it and has been aligned during the inspection so the GM dealer was all up in and around those suspension parts and didn't see anything (but I also didn't mention this noise cause it never does it when I want people to hear it. The car loves to make a liar out of me.).
So when the Saturn dealer here shut down completely, I called the next closest one (which isn't very close) and asked what they thought about it and I got the answer of bad sway bar bushings or end link.
Any idea what the deal is? What should I do about this? And how bad a problem might this be?

Scarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
Scarrie
Banned

Oh, and the Saturn dealer told me when I complained about the crunching noise years ago not to worry about it.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
Ssicarman

Your crunchy winter noise is most likley the sway bar to frame bushings. Left long enough they could start making a clunk noise. So first thing to replace would be the sway bar to frame bushings.
Also worth checking the lower control arm rear bushings. They tend to come apart and let the control arm hit the engine frame. The bushings can be replaced without replacing the control arms.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Scarrie
Banned

Thanks. I feel kind of lost since the Saturn dealer shut down and I've not built a rapport with the GM dealer in town.
Is this a problem that they will have to hear before they'll diagnose and fix, or should they be able to see the problem after I tell them the symptoms.
I'd hate to take the car in for a "Cannot Duplicate Customer Complaint."
Old 08-27-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
Ssicarman

If the car is not under warranty you are paying the bill and you get to tell them what you want done. They tell you what they are charging to do what you want but you are the boss and and you get to tell them what you want done.

If the car is under warranty then they can do the not duplicated thing untill they get the noise.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #6
mooch1

i was told that it was the front struts in cold weather and the crunch noise goes away when it wrams up as you drive
mooch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:18 AM   #7
derfderf

Ummm I don't think it's acceptable to sell a (then) new car with struts that crunch in cold weather straight from the factory. Warmup would only be internal to the strut as it is below the engine.

Reminds me of the early 1st gen S cars that had a loud power steering cavitation resonance if the car was started below 10 -15 F. That thing would howl; people would stare at me; if they kept staring, I'd just say "they all do that", which is unacceptable.

Someone obviously forgot to drive it in Wisconsin in the dead of winter during development....

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:58 AM   #8
goaliemo
Community Moderator

Derf, it is common for the Ions to have a "mystery" noise from the shocks, but not the struts.
When my mom bought my car, new off the lot, she had it back, and had the shocks replaced several times under warranty because of the "mystery" noise. Still, to 2007, it was a common issue that Saturn/GM could never figure out.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote