Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Community > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2015, 12:39 AM   #1
Ebony 4nd Ivory

Default actron cp9185

so I managed to get one of these cp9185 actron scanners for under $100. It turns on and seems to function correctly but it keeps telling me "Tool must be powered by vehicle" whenever I try to select anything like read codes or drive cycle. Does anyone here have experience with this as to why this is happening?

Ebony 4nd Ivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:18 AM   #2
derfderf

Yes.

Most of these tools are powered through the diagnostic port of the vehicle for reading codes, erasing codes and capturing data.
This one also has an internal battery. Offline processing/review of captured info is likely powered by the device's own battery.
Wouldn't think it comes with it's own battery installed unless it is powered off a CR2032 coinlike battery. Check owner's manual.
_____
If you're getting this message while hooked to the diiag port, it means there is no power to the port and the unit runs off power from the port while performing diagnostic.
To ensure power to the diag port, you need to have the key turned to the "ON" position (do not have to start car)

Then plug tool into diag port; it will boot up to a main screen and you select where to go from there. Or it may already be at a main screen from running on battery....

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"

Last edited by derfderf; 10-03-2015 at 05:23 AM..
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
Ebony 4nd Ivory

So heres the thing. When I plug it into the OBDII port it does turn on, which would lead me to belive there is power to the port, but it still tells me it needs to be hooked to the vehicles power. It does have the ability to have a cigarette lighter adaptor hooked into it for power but I did not get that cable with it. perhaps I could find one.

This is so strange.
Ebony 4nd Ivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:58 AM   #4
goaliemo
Community Moderator

You probably have a blown fuse. I know in my Ion the port would power it, but not allow it to read it because of a fuse.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:55 PM   #5
sc2sick

Is it too late to return it?

AmazonAmazon
More features and WAY cheaper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
owner
http://sixthsphere.com/showthread.php/89737 - Current build thread
sc2sick is offline   Reply With Quote