Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn Vue

Old 11-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
johnw54321

Question Daytime Running Light Indicator Intermittant 2003 Saturn Vue

mbvjhvmnbvmn

Last edited by johnw54321; 12-05-2015 at 09:05 PM..
johnw54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:03 AM   #2
derfderf

1) Do the DRLS themselves work properly, and only the dash indicator is goofy, or do the DRLs behave in sync with the dash light?

2)The AC on/off cycling sounds like a system that is low on charge but just high enough to keep from triggering the low pressure cutout when at rest. When the system is turned on, the low side pressure drops (by design), but if there is not enough refrigertant in the system, the low side pressure will dip below the low pressure cutoff, cutting out the AC clutch. The low side pressure then rises back to where it was at rest, the clutch kicks in, and the cycle repeats over and over in a very regular manner. The leak will, of course, be in one of the components you did not replace.

You could have an issue with the Hi/lo pressure switch, the A/C relay, or just be low on refrigerant--or an outside chance that the request for AC going to the BCM does not end up providing the required signal to trigger the relay to complete the AC circuit. I was going to say the chance was tiny but you have the same BCM in both cases.

As for the A/C not coming on when requested using the button, that again could be caused by low refrigerant, a bad lo/hi pressure switch, or lack of signal from BCM, or defective AC relay.

Technically, shouldn't rule out AC clutch issues either.....could be responsible for the cycling and the no AC condition

Step 1: Read the hi and lo pressure ports at rest and with AC running
Step 2: Get ready with that voltmeter.....

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:05 AM   #3
goaliemo
Community Moderator

Moving this to the Vue section.

In for more details.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:18 AM   #4
johnw54321

cxvcvcvcvc n b nb n

Last edited by johnw54321; 12-05-2015 at 09:05 PM..
Old 11-24-2015, 12:29 AM   #5
goaliemo
Community Moderator

ahh, a night owl. Just like derf and myself.

Very nice.

Wish I could help on this, though. Electrical is not my strong point.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:08 AM   #6
derfderf

DRL indicator: Possible bad solder joint or corroded bulb socket in the instrument panel.

The next time it doesn't come on when it is supposed to, give the top of the dash repeatedly harder thumps with your open hand and see if it has any effect.

I had forgotten all about the e-brake switch that is part of the circuit and inhibits the DRLs. I would open up the area, find the contacts for the switch. See if the switch mounting is loose and check the DC V across the switch open and closed. Then wiggle the connections and watch the dash.

Get the hi/lo pressures checked. This could be an OVERPRESSURE situation too, where the compressor is building pressure, there is a restriction in the system, the pressure gets too high and trips the hi pressure cutoff.

The urgency in testing this is high, since if the compressor internally fragments from the pressure, you'll have another nightmare because you'll have a purportedly brand new system full of metal and you likely cannot flush the condenser (knowledgeable AC folk know this).

Go get your invoice for the work performed and list here on the forum the parts listed as replaced. I wouldn't be at all surprised if your original compressor was distributing metal shavings as it approached death, and one or more lodged in a part of the system that is difficult to flush. And that part never got replaced. Only real explanation other than faulty hi lo press switch for that specific of a problem to travel on through the repairs. Or like I said, AC clutch may be weary and connecting/releasing...

Old 12-02-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
johnw54321

hfyhgfhygtfhygtfytfy

Last edited by johnw54321; 12-05-2015 at 09:06 PM..
Old 12-03-2015, 06:49 AM   #8
derfderf

evaporator not replaced ???? May be an/the issue?
hi/lo pressure switch not replaced. Could be an issue, could be corrosion on connector

What issue triggered the A/C rebuild to begin with?
And although the A/C system is charged, that does not mean that it is not OVERcharged

Are you 100% positive the DRLs are on even when the dash indicator is off?

Longshot, but could be a wiring issue on the underside of the fuse block.
_________

I provided several items to test in my previous post.
You chose not to perform the tests.

That's totally up to you if you want to take it to the dealership. I'm simply going to end providing things to check