Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Community > New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2016, 03:26 AM   #1
Chain

Post Greetings Saturnites!

Just saying Hello and getting a look around the Forums now that I am a Saturn owner and interested in upgrading and repairing it. Of course I am more interested in modification that repair but the repairs are minor and mainly cosmetic and the mods are few and far between. Should be interesting seeing how far you can take a little 2400Lb car both in performance and looks. If you have any constructive suggestions, fire away.

1994 Saturn SC2
Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:41 AM   #2
derfderf

turbo turbo turbo

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #3
Chain

How about a little more than "turbo turbo turbo"? Will the head need modification? will the stock pistons, rings and crank handle the boost? Does anyone make a turbo based exhaust manifold that will allow it to fit between the block and radiator? How about intercooled problems? etc. etc. I appreciate the enthusiasm but more info is better than less. Does anyone know of a documented turbo application in a pre-Mitsubishi Saturn? I know the Mitsubishi engines take turbo's quite nicely but the original LL0 GM manufactured ones are a different breed of engine right? I hate going into something this major blind so help a newb out eh?

1994 Saturn SC2
Old 04-25-2016, 04:33 PM   #4
derfderf

Here's an example of what's been done.

www.differentracing.com

It all depends on how far you want to take it.
Mike took it pretty far, running w 20# of boost.
Custom aggresive cams, intake manifold, exhaust manifold....
Forged internals on the bottom end.
This crank with those valves.....all for a reason.

The turbo exhaust manifold fits if you can find one. Or make one.

There was never much aftermarket support for any of the saturn cars, so people were fabricating their own. At one point, a few folks on the forum had weekend businesses running, fabricating parts for others. There is a fair bit of fabricating in general since none of the piping, etc was ever designed for the application.

Can't say much about intercooling issues as I haven't read much on the subject.

The LL0's were and are unique to Saturns so I can't comment on turboing Mitsubishi
I don't believe anyone ever hacked the S car PCM, so you'll be running a secondary controller.

I have READ that you can run 6-8 lbs of boost on a stock engine. Don't know how long that lasts.....

As this post gets longer, I think you understand why I only responded w 1 word last time. I've written too many detailed posts for people who either never come back, are overwhelmed and never come back, or who say thank you, then never come back.

I have never turboed a Saturn nor do I claim to be an expert on the process.

There was a site called turbosaturns.net with all kinds of knowledge embedded in it, but the site crashed and apparrently the backups they were making were apparently not backups. So all that is gone from the net, but not from the heads of those who have turbo'd a Saturn.

There are a couple turbo kits out there. I have no clue as to their quality, performance, etc. I think these kits are leftover inventory from the 90s and 2000's and the merchants don't want to write them off. You could probably negotiate the price down.

That's all for now.

Maybe sc2sick can steer you in the right direction, which is probably to a different Saturn forum, but that's cool....we're all in it for the Sattys.....

Old 04-26-2016, 03:50 AM   #5
Chain

I am not one of those post and run when I get info bombed. I knew that Saturn's never enjoyed a huge aftermarket presence since they launched in the aftermarket hell of the 90's and it's only in the last 15 years or so that the Internet has exploded the automotive aftermarket. My problem with turbo charging the LL0 is that the space in the engine compartment is severely limited and would require a serious amount of custom fabrication beyond the exhaust manifold. replacing the cooling fan on the radiator seems to be indicated and that's probably the easiest thing in the whole upgrade. I as much of a fan of forced induction as anyone but the jump to a turbo motor would be an expensive proposition and require a complete engine rebuild with custom parts. Was thinking more along the lines of cold air induction and seeing if the chips they claim get you 60hp are a scam or not. I've seen both pro and con on those supposed claims and i'm looking for more info since i'm not going to just run out and buy a chip without the supporting upgrades. I know the car could definitely use a few tasteful upgrades and if I need to get them manufactured it won't stop me, just delay the project completion date. Luckily I know someone who works at a custom coachwork shop and they do everything from paint to custom fab work so all I need to do is pay for it (the truly painful part)

I have some serious doubts about the longevity of a boosted LL0 even if I did luck out and get a 94 with 125k miles on it. A little due diligence now will save me posting later looking for a new bottom end. I will continue poking around here and the Internet and welcome all help as long as you don't tell me to go buy a different make/model of car. I like not seeing any SC2's on the road and having people ask me if it's new. How quickly they forget. Must be all the time spent on social media that's destroyed people's attention spans.

1994 Saturn SC2
Old 04-26-2016, 04:53 AM   #6
derfderf

Even a true CAI will not make an appreciable difference if you are seeking a significant power gain.

ALL chips, turbinators, etc for S cars are SCAMS

Surprised to hear they are still for sale; would have thought the people behind it would've been nailed a long time ago.

Turbo ing an S car IS possible, but like you (and I) said, there is a bunch of custom fabrication required and some things under the hood need to be relocated. It's a question of how bad to you want it.