Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn ION

Old 06-19-2016, 03:51 AM   #1
JAMMAN

Default ANOTHER motor swap thread

Hi everyone,

I am at the point of disgust.

My niece hosed the motor in her 2004 ION, a 2.2 ecotec

After searching up and down, I bought a salvage engine that the guy swore it was going to work out of a 2006 ion. Passed up a 2004 motor out of a grand am because I read it had a hydraulic pump for steering attached to the cam.

So I get the 2006 motor from an ION instead.

Then I get told it will work if I replace the reluctor wheel on the crank.

Then I get told the reluctor is not replaceable and is machined into a casting flange but is the same on all 2.2's.

Then I was told it isn't the same and the reluctor rings changed in 05 then 07 again.

One article I read said the 2006 was a 2.5.

I know the motor (now hanging on a cherry picker at my shop) looks freakin identical in most every aspect as my poor nieces motor.

I have read countless motor swap articles that mention swaps and don't mention reluctor rings or electric/hydraulic power steering.

car part dot com lists several motors from 2001 to 2007 as viable replacements but gives me 5 options, something about a red line, a drilled or not drilled manifold for air check valve and EGR in head or not with the exact same vin code number.

I have found so much conflicting info I don't even know if a motor out of a 2004 ion will work in a 2004 ion any more. I owned a 77 firebird that had an oldsmobile motor and a 86 trans am with a chevorlet 305 so GM is likely to do anything.

Can anyone here please please tell me definitely if a 2006 saturn ion motor which says 2.2 ecotec on the cover interchange with a 2004 saturn ion motor 2.2 ecotec? I don't mind changing manifolds, sensors, bla bla but if there is a tone ring on the inside machined into a casting that doesn't have the right amount of gaps it is a show stopper and I can exchange the motor.

Thanks in advance and please excuse my anger.

Jim

Last edited by JAMMAN; 06-19-2016 at 10:33 AM..
JAMMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:02 AM   #2
derfderf

Here ya go.

The plain old 2.2L Ecotec from that era is an L61.

I found some dudes asking if the reluctor wheels were available separately and interchangeable.
-----------------
the 02-06 l61's have a 7x reluctor wheel that is cast into the crank, which is probably why its not shown in that picture..

Source http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/sh...eluctor-wheels post 4.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

----------------

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:11 AM   #3
JAMMAN

Cool so it looks like the 04 and 06 are swappable but if I went 07 I would be in deep poo poo

The 04 is in our shop and motor will be out soon. The 06 looks identical in every aspect.

Thanks for the ray of hope and for the welcome in the other thread.

I do own a saturn of my own as a beater but it is unbelievably reliable. 1998 SL2. ODO says 177,000 but it doesn't even burn oil, the story from PO was her dad bought it used for her when she was 16. She didn't check the oil. Ever. Motor went, daddy had it replaced probably new at a dealer. I have no idea how many miles the motor has.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:17 AM   #4
derfderf

I spoke to a very well versed Ion bud and he said:

The main difference between the 2006 and 2004 L61s is that 2006 used a MAF sensor whereas 2004 used a speed density type sensor

So theoretically if you pull the 2004, swap in the 2006, reinstall all the 2004 peripherals/sensors INCLUDING the speed density sensor, the 2004 PCM should be happy with the engine just as if it was a 2004.

RESEARCH VERY CAREFULLY ALL SENSORS/BRACKETS,ETC

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Info compliments of 19bonestock88

Old 06-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #5
JAMMAN

I have to use the 04 intake anyway the guy cracked his taking it out of the 06. I'll make sure to use all the sensors off the 04 was planning on it anyway.

Then I'll fire it up, clear all the codes and drive it around for an hour or so before handing it back to my niece to totally screw it up again LOL. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:15 PM   #6
JAMMAN

OK project complete... 06 ION 2.2 in an 04 ION. I used the intake off the 04, cleaned the throttle body but the other sensors... the crank sensor, water stuff and upstream 02 are all from the 06 and everything worked. Fired right up after fuel actually got to the rail, runs fantastic.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:12 AM   #7
derfderf

Holy crap! I got an Ion question right! Again!!

Glad to hear the project worked out.
And thank you for documenting what you used from which engine, etc.
And for being polite enough to come back and post your results.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:06 AM   #8
JAMMAN

You are definitely welcome, and thank you for the support and research. I could have just put it in but that isn't me, I hate failure and go out of my way to make sure something is going to work before doing it.

One post wonders drive me crazy. I'm a forum veteran from way back just not here. Especially the ones that start with "HEEEEEELLLLP!"

Now off to start another thread on mine which has taken an unusual turn.