Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn L-Series

Old 08-23-2015, 01:39 AM   #1
smitht2

Default 2001 Saturn L300 will turn over, but will not start occasionally

I own a 2001 Saturn L300 and it will turn over, but will not start occasionally. It tends to not start in warmer weather, rather than cold weather. This has been going on for 2 years now. The first time it happened, last summer, I checked to see if it was getting fuel, and it squirted out with force, but still would not start. I left it over night and went back the next day and it started. This happened several times over the 2014 summer. Over the winter months it started fine. Summer of 2015 year it started all over again. Today was the 6th time of this summer. I turned the ignition over to right before it starts and I went under the hood. I heard a series of several clicks to the left of the engine bay and a half a minute or so pause then clicks again, over and over. I normally had been waiting about 15 minutes and it will usually start. I checked to see if it was getting fuel and it was just a little ooze of fuel and then nothing. I waited about 15 minutes and it cranked. I checked the fuel pressure again after it was running and it was constant, but not the pressure I would expect it to be, but the car was running. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

smitht2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:18 AM   #2
derfderf

Chewing on this one.....your post is not being ignored.....

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:20 PM   #3
smitht2

Thanks! I'm thinking Crankshaft Position & or Camshaft Position Sensor.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #4
derfderf

I too was thinking CKP or CPS, but the clicking intrigues me and I did not want to give you a half baked answer that costs you $$ and solves nothing.

Never owned an L car so......

What is the status of the security light
---when it starts and works fine
---when you are trying to start it but it fails and you seemingly have no fuel at the rail?

Also, is the ticking coming from the vicinity of the throttle body?

Pull and check ALL fuses with multimeter (not by sight) and swap the fuel pump relay w the windshield washer relay to ensure fuel pump relay is functional. Pulling them makes sure you're reading just the fuse and not backprobing the circuit, plus it sweeps the corrosion off the contacts for better electrical connection.

When you first turn the key to on (w out trying to crank), you should hear inside the car a low hum for 2-3 sec, then a click and silence. This is the fuel pump running to prime the system. If you hear this, you should get about 50 psi fuel pressure at the rail and the car should NOT do the ticking and should start normally. If it primes but you still have no fuel, I would suspect clogged fuel filter (which is only one of the possible complications but not the root cause.)

I'm gonna guess that if you don't hear the priming, you hear the clicking instead, yes?

Old 08-29-2015, 04:44 AM   #5
goaliemo
Community Moderator

in for results
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:56 AM   #6
derfderf

hello??????

Old 08-31-2015, 01:03 PM   #7
smitht2

I have a light either way. I am getting it scanned today. I think the fuel pump is acting normal, but the relay is getting hot to the touch while it is running. I swapped it and checked all fuses. It is still getting hot. New problem! It is shutting off now while it is running. I started 3 different times after relay swap and it ran 20 minutes 1st time, 20 minutes 2nd time, and 5 minutes 3rd time. I'm going to get a fuel pressure gage today also.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #8
Arthall111

CRANK POSITION SENSOR. Same thing happened to me. Chagedit and has not happened since
Arthall111 is offline   Reply With Quote