Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn S-Series

Old 02-08-2016, 09:13 PM   #1
Nahtanoj

Default No dash lights

Hey new guy. Just picked up 97 sl for thousand bucks in great mechanical shape with 5spd and 200k on her. All was good til I pulled an aftermarket Sony radio out to fix the messame of wiring job previous owner did. I didn't have wire or anything to fix on the spot so I taped off what I assume are power wires ground etc. Needless to say this morning dash lights were gone and I just checked fuses and all good. I've heard of this happening and no tail lights but still have those. Something I'm missing or is it cause no wires for radio hooked up at the moment. Also no adaptor they cut factory plug and duct taped wires together. Thanks in advance.

Nahtanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
derfderf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahtanoj View Post
Also no adaptor they cut factory plug and duct taped wires together. Thanks in advance.
I think that says it all.

I believe one of the hot leads from the DIM ILLUM circuit is tapped into in order to backlight the LED screen when he car's lights are turned on.
So one of those disconnected wires is has a variable output that switches along w the car's outer lights and dims with the dimmer switch for the dash.

The cleanest way to fix this is to go to a junkyard and find a matching replacement wiring end for the car's wiring, and to purchase the proper adapter kit rom the radio manufacturer or audio installer or maybe even Amazon

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:06 PM   #3
Nahtanoj

Thanks for help
Nahtanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:39 AM   #4
2001SL

Cool people here, huh?
2001SL is offline   Reply With Quote