Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn S-Series

Old 10-16-2015, 06:06 AM   #1
JDC

Default How difficult to replace lumbar support?

1996 SW2. Drivers' seat lumbar support just ceased "supporting". I don't recall hearing anything break but recently find that turning lumbar lever lock to lock does ZIP.

Not really a problem, "per se" as I never thought that the lumbar support was "all that". But, just for my own personal satisfaction, I'd like to work toward keeping the SW2 in near "as new" condition as I'm capable.

JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
derfderf

Please let me know the answer, which I am sure involves inhaling decomposed foam.

I always assumed it worked by rotating out a sideways tube kinda thing.
However, I then surmised that that cylinder must be made of compressible material (maybe for crash reasons? or just to be cheap(er) ) because after you leave it in full support mode for 15 years, swapping it out and in does nothing.

Come to think of it, maybe the seat frame the theoretical roller thingy is on has shifted backwards in the seat over the 2 decades of use

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:37 PM   #3
JDC

I've always pictured the lever controlling the support as turning a non cylindrical (more oval shaped) tube within the seat. IF that was the case (and it probably isn't, since my mechanical acumen is questionable .. even on a "good day" lol) I'd have thought there was something that had come unwelded.

Your point of this being the result of a "mere" 20 years of use is probably right on. That put it into perspective for me as I just replaced the 5th computer chair used during the same time period.
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:47 AM   #4
2001SL

I wish my car had lumbar support.
2001SL is offline   Reply With Quote