Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn S-Series

Old 09-29-2015, 11:20 PM   #11
willis68

sorry about that, i might get a trans later on, but the main thing is getting the engine part done asap. tired of the quart of oil every two hundred miles. did some searching and i am thinking that a 93-98 dohc engine with manifolds and a 94-95 ecm. i do plan on rebuilding the the engine and doing some upgrades, so if i wanted to, one day do a turbo upgrade i could. i was wondering if the throttle body and misc stuff on the intake will interchange.

willis68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:02 PM   #12
willis68

got the engine finally. ended up with a dohc out of a 1998 and injectors out of a 94 dohc. plan on buying a 95 ecm. does anyone know if the ecm connectors are the same and the pinout is the same.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:58 AM   #13
derfderf

1) If you are trying to make this an OBD II car, I'm not sure why you would buy 94 Injectors and lean towards 95 (OBD I) PCM. So I'll assume you are staying ODB I

2) 1995 PCM can only be used w 95's as it is year and engine specific, so I would swap your 95 SOHC PCM for a 95 DOHC PCM w the same options as yours.

3) Not sure about wiring harness compatibility between 95 SOHC (yours) and what would be the best choice (95 DOHC) if yours is not compatible. The 1st place to check would be the plugs at the PCM. If they are different then you need the 95 DOHC harness -- or one that is interchangeable /equivalent to it -- and since 95's are year and model specific that may mean getting one only from a 95 DOHC. Complete w underhiood and instrument panel junction box -- which SHOULD be OK.

Actually you could compare your SOHC fuseboxes to DOHCs (95's) to see if they are layed out differently, diff part nums, etc.

4) 94 inj w 95 PCM should be fine; personally I would buy reman injectors from a reputable company and use those versus 20 year old used ones

Please confirm the above info before making decisions based on it.

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #14
willis68

i goin with the 95 ecm because the 95's are different from the 94 and older, and the obd2 cars. 95 is going to be the easiest swap. the yard i went to didnt have a 95 dohc with a manual, so i will have to buy one. and maybe the pigtails for the ecm to. i would be ok with relocating terminals in the connectors and slighty modifing the connector body to make it plug in as long as it will latch.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:15 PM   #15
derfderf

well, as I understand it, 95's were year engine specific; that being the case, I'm pretty sure that means a 95 DOHC PCM from an A/T will run a 95 DOHC w A/T only (with no mods). Which means you WILL be swapping the entire wiring harness from the 95 SL1 w A/T harness to the 95 S(x)2 w A/T harness (not sure if sw2 is the same) unless you want to sit down and figure out AHEAD OF TIME which pins need to be swapped where and if fuse panel wrings are the same.

It's probably faster to swap the harness.

Also, you realize the 95 PCMs are the scarcest , should yours ever go south (which is rare but can happen)

And I'm not even sure after all of the above what I've missed. Which is always something.

Since you've already bought a 98 DOHC, go get a 98 DOHC PCM (possibly check on 97 compatibility) from an A/T car, the wiring harness from said car, and start there.

I've said my peace on the subject.

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:49 AM   #16
2001SL

Did everything go well?
2001SL is offline   Reply With Quote