Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Modifications > Audio Modifications

Old 08-22-2002, 11:43 PM   #1
FreddyP

Default Covered in dynamat and there are still rattles

Hey guys

I covered my trunk lid completely with Dynamat Xtreme. I had enough left over to do the bottom of my license plate just for the fun of it...

I finally got around to putting my subs back in my car yesterday and It rattled a little still (at least for the 5 minutes while I had good sounding audio and two subs that weren't blown....that sucked)...mainly the taillights and license plate but the trunk a little too...what can I do to get rid of the rest of these rattles? These were just with pokey little MTX Thunder 4124's...I wanna get a better sub in the near future (probably Audiobahn AW-1200Q's...two of them...Emily you like audiobahn, what do you think of those for SQ?)

It's a 1993 SL2.
Thanks
FreddyP

FreddyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 12:03 AM   #2
SC2_GT

The audiobahn's are definatly a soild sub very good sound.

About the rattles i dunno right now but givin a minute to think I could come up with something.
You can't take the sky from me
SC2_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 04:55 AM   #3
Bizzar

Spray foam, spray foam, ohh and more spray foam. the decklid on saturns is by far the noisiest damn things out there. Use some spray foam and fill in the gaps between the sheet metal support on the decklid. Also apply it up near the strut towers and again on the rear portion of the flex panel (the trim between the lights) That should help quite a bit. you just have to experiment and keep listening.
Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 12:12 PM   #4
URtalking2CRASH

geez Bizzar you beat me to the spray foam that's what i would suggest....
oh and Freddy if it's audiobahn I like it ALOT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
URtalking2CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 12:40 PM   #5
Elmo

FreddyP:

I have 2 audiobahn AW1200X, and running them with an MTX Thunder 81000D amp. For SQ, they really aren't that precise sounding under a lot of power. Don't get me wrong, they pound like hell, but I have heard better.

I have mine in a bandpass box, my sealed box sounded a lot firmer, but I needed the bandpass so I can face them forward....you think you have a rattle? Try facing 2 12's with 1500 RMS and pointing to them directly at the trunk.

I have dynamat on the whole trunk lid as well as covered with carpet, and even facing them to the front, with both seats folded down, the trunk still rattles.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 12:56 PM   #6
CelticShadow

you're going to find that by just dynomating the trunk, that the rattles move elsewhere. Unless you were to dynomat everything, you'll always have the rattles somewhere.

As far as the audiobahn subs, they're really a great sub, very top quality, good sound, decent price. I have to say the "best" subs I've ever heard would be 1.Memphis, 2.Lanzar, 3.MTX Pro-comps. Those three hit the hardest and have the best sound out of a sub that I've ever heard. Again though too, it also depends alot on what your powering them with, and what's giving them the sound. If those are junk......then no matter if you have the worlds best sub, it's gonna sound like garbage.

CelticShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 02:48 AM   #7
SpeZialK

Hello sir...i CAN be of assistance...i too have a 93 sl2 and i got rid of EVERY rattle in my trunk W/O dynamat! can u believe it....ur gonna feel like an ass after realized all u needed was styrafoam or cardboard (i used cardboard)....heres what ya do....pop ya trunk and look at the flipped up part....see all those little crevices? Fell AS MUCH as u can with cardboard paper....when your done that....take pieces of cardboard paper and fold it and throw them between the metal bars and your rear speaker deck....still rattles?! it did for me, until i realized that ALMOST all the rattling was coming from those 2 little bars right underneath the speaker deck...im not sure what their used for, but when the bass hits, they vibrate and constantly hit the metal above it....take about 3 pieces of construction paper and fold em all and place em between the bars and the trunk, some tape may be needed but if u stack it wide and high enough, **** wont budge!! do that and tell me if u still hear 98% of the rattlin u did before....better yet, BLASt "is that your chick(remix)" Jay-z, busta, twista, miss e BEFORE and AFTER u do the modifications....omg the difference is insane!!! NO MORE DYNAMT FOR ANYONE!!! if u buy dynamat after reading this **** and dont believe me, your asses!
SpeZialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 02:53 AM   #8
CelticShadow

Damn good suggestion!! I'm going to have to try that. Right now part of my rattle though is coming from the speaker box itself, but I've always had rattles coming from other places. I'm getting rid of my speaker box to do a custom setup in the trunk, so while it's out, I'll try that cardboard fix. Tell u what.....I've got enough cardboard around here to do about 50 cars.....LOL. Should save me alot of money instead of dynomating the whole car!! Thanks for the tip!

CelticShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 02:58 AM   #9
SpeZialK

Yeah, i had this crazy Idea one day to try some stupid **** like that cuz the rattling was pissin me off (let alone other drivers!!)....so i did that and when i was done, i realized that 80% of the rattling was coming from those 2 little barz....so as long as u take care of those 2, u will be a hella better!!! whoever tries this, let me know how good your car sounds now too!!!

Thank God for cardboard....**** DYNAMAT!
Old 09-06-2002, 03:01 AM   #10
SpeZialK

o yeah, and if u wanna take this to a whole nother level like i did....spend about 10 bucks on aluminum foil....take pieces and fold em so that its about 5 sheets thick and totally cover your trunk and wherever else needed....it acts as a sound absorber for 1) keeping rattling to a minimum 2) and keeping the true sound in your trunk!

G'luck to whoever tries!! worked for me!!!