Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Community > New Member Introductions

Old 10-21-2014, 11:53 PM   #1
derfderf

Exclamation New Old Member ---Back from...?

Heya all. I actually joined this site in 2006 and asked some questions in the early years---and got some good advice.

Since then I've been a mod on another saturn forum along with RjIon. Didn't know he was a member let alone a mod here until 2 days ago. Don't know who gave him so much power.....

Anyway, I've learned quite a bit about my saturns (95 and 97 sc2s) since then and aim to answer as many questions correctly as I can.

Watch out if I chime in on Ion posts -- never popped a hood or opened a door on one....

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:58 PM   #2
derfderf

oh geez, sw2cam is here too.....(sigh)

jk it's all good

Old 10-22-2014, 12:11 AM   #3
RjION

Hey derf, bout time man. I figured you knew goalie and I were over here. I never really left this place even thought it has been 98% dead forever. Goalie started modding over here and asked me to join in so I did. I cleaned out the member list and that took days .... and ..... days. Now all we need is some action, and that's a tall order for a Saturn forum as you know. Look what we did with the other place. I can see this picking up over time. Once people see some threads starting to get a bit of action from other than spam. SpamSpot has been this places second name for a long time as you know.

Ok Jeni and I are going out for dinner......hold down the fort.

Shut up and drive.
I have SL2, SW2, & ION pictures in the gallery under SaturnSdn & RjION

Last edited by RjION; 10-24-2014 at 01:39 AM..
RjION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:16 AM   #4
goaliemo
Community Moderator

Hey! Welcome Derf!
Yea, Rj and I are in charge over here. Scary, right? lmao
I am sure you know Rj is a huge help, and has definitely taught me a lot about the Mod side of things.
I am hoping that this site picks up a bit over time.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:02 PM   #5
RjION

Now we need to get a few others over here.

Shut up and drive.
I have SL2, SW2, & ION pictures in the gallery under SaturnSdn & RjION
RjION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:40 AM   #6
goaliemo
Community Moderator

Thatd be cool. I am not gonna go over there to steal your group though. They are all welcomed, of course!
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
Old 10-23-2014, 06:15 AM   #7
derfderf

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliemo View Post
Thatd be cool. I am not gonna go over there to steal your group though. They are all welcomed, of course!
Wouldn't think you'd want the entire band of misfits now that you know us kidsa sorta a little bit.

It's not unexpected given the search engine ranking of 3rd behind saturnfans and saturnforum that we don't get alot of hits--especially based on what you've mentioned

Fresh content is s must if we are to become more attractive to potential joinees.

Also, might I suggest we be a bit more gentle over here FOR A WHILE with the newbie post count thing since we're not gonna increase the active membership by pelting newbies with post count requirements where they (for now) have to dig up some ancient thread just to comment on it for post count reasons.........? Don't get me wrong I appreciate the cleanup at both sites --- I just see this one as very fragile right now (don't know for how long). Saturnforum still had a small core of regulars before the clesnup and crackdown to keep it going. I'm not sure that's the case over here right now (says the guy whose been back for 2 days). I'd like to help build it back up ---I just think our strategy needs to be a bit different in the immediate future.

If people join and don't stay and post, ban them a bit later

Just my thoughts.

The only threads updated since I rejoined 2 days ago are the ones I've posted to....

Food for thought

Old 10-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #8
goaliemo
Community Moderator

I agree to a point. I think im a bit more lenient then Rj is with the post count thing. Him and I have had many discussions about it, and no, I don't want just numbers on here like on saturnfans. But at the same time, if you don't post, I don't want you here. Its set up so your account isn't fully activated until you make a post. So that does make it easier.
But yes, we do need to be a bit easier on them, and I always introduce myself and politely ask for them to make a sig and introduce themselves.
And as for the information, its hard to update information when no one is around. I am sure not to many people want to know what im doing with my redline on an everyday basis, although I did make a thread about it.
A few people check in every few weeks to give us updates on there cars.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
Old 10-24-2014, 03:35 AM   #9
derfderf

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliemo View Post
I agree to a point. I think im a bit more lenient then Rj is with the post count thing. Him and I have had many discussions about it, and no, I don't want just numbers on here like on saturnfans. But at the same time, if you don't post, I don't want you here. Its set up so your account isn't fully activated until you make a post. So that does make it easier.
But yes, we do need to be a bit easier on them, and I always introduce myself and politely ask for them to make a sig and introduce themselves.
And as for the information, its hard to update information when no one is around. I am sure not to many people want to know what im doing with my redline on an everyday basis, although I did make a thread about it.
A few people check in every few weeks to give us updates on there cars.

I think we're on the same wavelength; there's no point in registering if you're not gonna post, and I don't want those peeps around either. For the noobs that ask a question--they're noobs --- it might take them 3 weeks to figure out how to do what we advise,,,,,they're not gonna post between the first one and the follow up three weeks later. But if they get banned in the meantime, we've blocked them from answering and they're never coming back. We'll never know if they would have become a regular based on good advice we gave or not. And we need new regulars pretty bad.

And then there's the evil case where someone posts, none of us know the answer, no one posts to the thread, and the poster gets banned for inactivity. We are partly to blame on those and should develop a habit of saying " i don't know" to at least acknowledge the question. I am guilty of not doing so on the other forum but this discussion has brought that to light so I will change my ways.

Rj, I do not know how much time first time posters get around here before they're banned for inactivity -- but maybe we could lengthen it for a while and see if the noobs that do come along do stick around. It'll also be work performed less often which I assume you do by either browsing the user list for low post counts or maintaining a tracking sheet of new posters with post dates.

Don't misunderstand me--we all have the same goal--to rebuild membership at this site. I'm just suggesting we ban non-active noobs a little later rather than sooner; widen the window for them to post a follow up, then get them engaged in a discussion if they do return. But let their initial engagement truly be based on their involvement rather than a hard timetable. Then worry about post count . If not, ban them but include the reason as "inactivity" so if they want to get back on the forum they at least know why they got locked out. I'm sure this was totally impractical during the initial cleanup---I'm taking moving forward.

I'm not saying forever -- just until we can build the site up some more such that we can afford to ban noobs on the spot. If we ban too quick, we'll never know how it might have turned out.

I can hear Rj sighing "Wishful thinking full of maybes" -- but sometimes you need to put on the kid gloves for a little while to keep from punching out the other kids at the playground.......

Peace