Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Modifications > Styling Modifications

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 09:35 PM   #1
SILENTBOB SL2

Default Tinted taillights

Anybody ever use vht's nite-shades? It's a spray tint and was wondering if anyone out there had any tips to spraying the lenses. Would like it to come out even without blocking too much light.

Old 09-09-2002, 09:54 PM   #2
CelticShadow

the nightshade is the most commonly used spray tint for tail lights and it works great. The key to doing it properly is if you're going to do it on the car, make sure you mask everything around it off real good, and spray each coat from a good distance so it doesn't run. The best way though to do it would be to take the lights off the car and spray them from the top. Wait for each coat to dry and then keep doing it until it's as dark as you want it.

Old 09-09-2002, 10:21 PM   #3
SpeZialK

do u get the nightshade at pepboys?
Old 09-09-2002, 10:39 PM   #4
CelticShadow

I'm pretty sure they carry it.

Old 09-09-2002, 11:44 PM   #5
SILENTBOB SL2

bought mine on ebay. haven't seen it offered in my area
Old 10-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
bduran1220
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILENTBOB SL2 View Post
bought mine on ebay. haven't seen it offered in my area
cant u get pull over by the cops for that idk but i tried looking 2 see if its bad in my city but nothing
Old 10-15-2009, 02:04 AM   #7
ladyscorpia20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduran1220 View Post
cant u get pull over by the cops for that idk but i tried looking 2 see if its bad in my city but nothing
dont know where you are located, but i think as long as the brake light shines through red, you should be ok...
Old 01-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
AuBenseiter

Old thread, I know but heres my take. The laws vary city by city and just because the laws on the books doesnt mean its always enforced. But it may be over-enforced too. Basicly, chat with a friendly cop in your area and casually bring up "what if I were to....".
Now as far as actually spraying niteshades... I recommend pulling the lights off the car around dusk, park the car in a *really* dark area. Then take the lights into the garage and clean them really well and make sure they are THROUGHLY dry. Once you've done that spay them with a really lite coat, so lite that it really doesnt look like you've got any on. After they dry take them out (it should be dark now) and re-install on the car. Check your running and brake lights and this will give you a base line to work from as to how much darker you want to go. If neccessary take the lights off again and respray and repeat untill you get a shade that you like. Sure its labor intensive but trust me, the result will be worth it. And remember, you can always go darker, but its a ***** going lighter so thin coats are a MUST.
Ok, end of lesson.

Oh, P.S., For real fun, when you get that fancy new coat of paint, you can use the above technigue to paint your headlights to match your new shade. Again, quasi legal so check first or pay the fine later.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:53 PM   #9
bduran1220
Banned

i live on in las vegas, nv Sim city i see them alot on the street but i still dont kno if u still get in trouble ive looked at Dmv and not even LVMPD wont tell but idk
Old 03-22-2010, 11:51 PM   #10
RjION

US DOT regulates lights, and lighting on automobiles .... city, states enforce those laws. So if your lights are outside of the US dot specs you can get a ticket.

Shut up and drive.
I have SL2, SW2, & ION pictures in the gallery under SaturnSdn & RjION
Closed Thread