Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > How Do You Fix This? > Technical Issues

Old 07-30-2004, 03:53 PM   #1
jeepster
Banned

Default CV joint

I have a 92 SL and believe the CV joint may be going bad. The car has a vibration coming from the front, passenger side. You can feel it in the steering wheel and pedals. At 55mph, it almost resembles the sound of a helicopter. I put new rims and tires on the car - the vibration had been worse before because of 2 bent rear rims (12 years of potholes). Tire balance and alignment on the car are perfect. Has anyone had any experience with a dying CV joint? How hard would it be to replace them myself? The dealer quoted me $900 which is more than the car is worth.

jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 04:21 PM   #2
ke6960

when i had a cv joint go (not in my satty) it clicked when i went around corners and it was cheaper to replace the whole axle than just the cv joint....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ke6960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 06:37 PM   #3
amazinghl

Are you sure it is not from the bearing?

The CV joints rarely goes bad on a saturn, unless the boots are torn.

The halfshafts are pretty easy to replace and the parts cost about $80 or so.

With bearing, you'll have to leave it up to the profession, when I had mine done, it costed me $220.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:49 AM   #4
Ssicarman

Welcome to the Board.

As amazinghl said it sounds more like it could be a wheel bearing. Does the noise change at all when you steer the car?
Old 07-31-2004, 02:40 AM   #5
jeepster
Banned

I've tried steering back and forth and the noise seems to be about the same regardless of direction. I'm not 100% sure on that - sometimes it acts like it's louder steering left and quieter right but I think that's more my brain messing with me trying to think it's different - because if I'm not mistaken if it's a CV joint the noise would be louder turning one direction and quieter the other direction, right? As far as I can tell it makes the same helicopter noise regardless of direction. What could cause a wheel bearing to go bad? Thanks! (and thanks for the welcome Ssicarman )
jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 05:17 AM   #6
Ssicarman

Normally CV joints only make clicking type noise when the wheels are at or close to full turn when the car is moving. They do not normally (when they are bad and making noise) make going straight or nearly so. Quick, not neccesarily the best, check is to get the front wheels hanging in the air and see if there is play in the wheel bearing. Better test get the front wheels in the air (on jack stands) block one wheel at a time from turning---long bar under the wheel as a lever to stop movement---and then run the car up to the speed that the noise is there. Do both sides and see if the noise is not there when one or the other wheel is not moving. The noisey wheel is the bad bearing. Providing it is bearings and from what you have described I suspect that it is. A real bad bearing or or bearing (both sides could be bad) wil make helicopter like noises and transmitt vibration.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
rcampau03
Banned

Lately, when i turn left, only left, it makes a grinding noise coming from the passenger side front wheel. The thing is, after about 4 or so left turns it goes away for the rest of the day until the car sits for about 4 hours. Then it does it again. Im wondering what this is? Doesnt seem to affect the car in any way, and it ONLY does it when turning left.
rcampau03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
dario11

Default cv joint

you may have a broken strut.
dario11 is offline   Reply With Quote