Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn Vue > Saturn Vue - Technical

Old 09-08-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
ignasak@yahoo.com
Banned

Default 2002 vue clutch

How do I adjust the clutch on my 2002 saturn vue?

ignasak@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
Ssicarman

Welcome to the Board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignasak@yahoo.com View Post
How do I adjust the clutch on my 2002 saturn vue?
You don't. The clutch is hydraulic and self adjustng. What kind of problem are you having that you want to adjust the clutch?
Old 10-25-2007, 12:41 AM   #3
mr. vue
Banned

I have a 2004 Vue and I have the same problem. I had a mechanic look at it and he said it was the clutch master cylinder.

Last edited by mr. vue; 10-25-2007 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: spelling
mr. vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
Pete
Banned

Yeah the master cylinders on these units (this year more so then others) tend to wear out pretty quick. I used to see it daily when I worked at the ol' shop.

problem is, they aren't cheap to work on. I have also seen a lot of slave issues with them. My theroy on it is just drive them till they break. In Canada, the dealer will charge out over $1000.00 just for the parts.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Pupselot
Banned

I think what ignasak@yahoo.com is wanting to know is the same thing I'm grappling with. Sometimes, with hydrauliuc clutches, the pedal doesn't push the plunger far enough into the master cylinder to fully declutch. This results in a stiff shifter, and eventually, in extreme cases, grinding or inability to shift at all (as the hydraulic system no longer actuates the lever adequately to press the throwout bearing onto the pressure plate splines enough to declutch).

On many cars, the linkage from clutch pedal arm to master cylinder has a threaded section, which can be adjusted to further extend the plunger into the MC, thereby increasing the thrust of the throwout bearing when the clutch pedal is depressed.

On my 2004 Vue, there's a plastic linkage attached to the spindle at the top of the clutch pedal arm. Removing it, I see no way to adjust the length of the linkage. It should be threaded--the plastic part to the metal plunger part--with a nut to tighten against it to keep it from losing the length setting you've established. So...if there's no way to adjust this, then either the master cylinder would have to be replaced, or else there's another adjustment elsewhere. I'm wondering if the slave cylinder doesn't have the adjustment on it (never seen one set up this way, but it would be possible). However, the SC is hidden in the transmission housing, and I don't want to unbolt it not knowing what's hidden from view.

Of course, if there are "no" adjustments whatsoever, I can't imagine how this would be workable--even when replacing any of these parts with new ones, I've always found it necessary to adjust the clutch at this linkage to get it working at its best. With no adjustment, even a new MC may not help to correct the stiff shifting (or it could "overdo" it, causing excess stress on the pressure plate/throwout bearing system and related parts.

So...does anyone know how to adjust the linkage on the clutch master cylinder (or if it's done through the slave cylinder, or some other mechanism)?

Hoping to hear from someone!!

All best,

Josh

Josh Fippen
4945 Easton Street
Lake Wales, FL 33859
Phone: 407-574-5231
Jcfippen@dannhazel.com
Pupselot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Ssicarman

Welcome to the Board.

My first suggestion to you would be to edit out your personal contact info that you have on the bottom of your thread. If you really want it there leave--I wouldn't--if you can't edit it out let me know and I will.

Manual transmission VUE's have no mechanical adjustments for the clutch hydraulic system. NONE.
The slave cylinder is on back of the release bearing on the input shaft. The hydraulic system will self adjust to maintain the proper pedal movement until the mechancal wear of the clutch goes to far. At this point the pedal engagment point will begin to change.

So the same question goes to you as I asked the original poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssicarman View Post
What kind of problem are you having that you want to adjust the clutch?