Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > How Do You Fix This?

Old 03-25-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
leftys4js
Banned

Default running like poo

Hey all my son has a 91 saturn sc1 1.9 dohc automatic we had another engine with 61K miles put in it has ran great for about a year now and today in nd we are pretty wet(flooding conditions) and snowy and he drove alot today..it started missing like crazy..while running i pulled each wire 1 by 1...when i pulled the plug wire from plug 1 (1st plug on left sde standing in front of the car) it made no diffeence in the way it ran..all others would bog down even more..i checked all the wires to the fuel rail they are fine pulled all plugs out and the 1st 3 were oil soaked not inside the plug but around the outside..cleaned them and regapped still made no difference..
if anyone could point me in the right direction to clear this it would be greatly appreciated
thanks

leftys4js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
Ssicarman

With oil in the plug wells the valve cover gasket will need to be replaced to repair that.
With no change in the engine when you pull the #1 plug wire you have a problem with the wire, the plug, the cylinder or the injector. With oil in the plug well I would lean to a compromised plug and wire. If you look at the plug wire you will likely see a carbon track on the inside of the plug wire boot at the plug and a carbon track on the plug as well. If you have than then replace the plugs and wires. At the very least the one plug and wire.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:16 AM   #3
leftys4js
Banned

Well no difference yet i installed new valve cover gasket and recleaned plugs and checked all wires(swpped plug wires around to different plugs stil following the fireing orders)still ..all is good there..however i still have the miss..so broke out the trusty manual to check injectors its says unfasten the injector electrical connectors, one at a time, and attempt to start the engine. If the engine starts with one injector disconnected, the faulty injector has been found.
ok so i pull the connector from the 1st injector(farthest to the left standing in front of the car again) and it still started and ran the same as it has been..ok plugged it back in and pulled the second exact same thing started and no difference in the way it ran..so moved on to the next 2(1 at a time of course) and still the same thing..so does this sound like a major injector problem or did i not understand the manual correctly..
thanks
Old 03-29-2009, 01:06 AM   #4
madbrad

Would a bad coilpack do this, or would that cause a problem with 2 cylinders?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Impala SS
98 Grand Voyager LE
madbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:09 AM   #5
leftys4js
Banned

oh i hope its something that simple i thought i had anotehr one here but cant find it so cleaned this one up and reinstalled but doesnt mean its good..i will try that when i can find or get another one
Old 03-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
madbrad

You can test a coilpack. Just check the resistance with an ohm meter between the 2 poles and compare with spec.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Impala SS
98 Grand Voyager LE
madbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
98 sl1 redline

im haven the same kind of problem with misfireing ive pined it down to an air fuel ratio problem. but cant seem to fix that try going to a hoter plug or an e3 diamond fire plug these foul out less and combust the mixture more completly
98 sl1 redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:02 AM   #8
leftys4js
Banned

Hello i am still at a stand still on this issue i had it to the dealer they did a compression test(didnt get the numbers) they said all was fine and within range there..it just needed a basic tune up..so i did new plugs new wires new fuel filter oil change new ects.when i first started it ran great for a couple minutes and the miss was back pulled the 1st plug wire again and it didnt change i pull the other 3 (one at a time)and it bogs down..i cleaned the coil pack and terminals and contacts..tried switching them with each other (making sure firing order was correct)and still misses in the # 1 plug area.did the injector thing again as described above with the exact results..there is still oil getting into the wells but nothing compared to what it was like before..(could even a little cause it to miss))
thanks in advance