Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > How Do You Fix This?

Old 11-12-2008, 07:00 AM   #1
brad_bb

Default Horn wiring still not clear

I've done a search for horn wiring and there was some conflicting info. My problem is the wiring from the factory connector to the relay. On my 96 SC2 I am replacing the factory wimpy horn again, but instead of a factory unit, I'm putting in a pair of horns from a late 80's mustang. The original had 3 wires going to it. I have to put in a relay since the original had the relay on the horn. I cut up the factory relay connector and soldered wires to the terminals so that I can plug into the factory connector.
I understand relay operation, but this is my first time actually using one. Tell me if I'm correct or not. The #30 terminal should be to my constant 12V power and be fused closer to the battery. The #87 terminal should connect to my new horns(one wire going to each of my two horns). Now, it is my understanding that the the 85 terminal should go to ground. Is one of the terminals in the factory connector go to ground? I used my multimeter and none of the terminals were grounded. Next I would think that the #86 terminal would go to the normally open of the horn button, and supply power when activated(horn pressed). I tried this wiring scheme and nothing happens. I verified tat the horns work loud and clear by jumping them direct oto 12V. What am I doing wrong that the horn isn't working?
I tested the three terminals of the connector with my multi meter; left one was constant 12V. Middle was not grounded. right was not grounded. I checked voltage and left was constant 12V, middle is 0, but when the horn is dpresseed, the voltage fluctuates from 500 to 750 millivolts, right terminal was neither grounded nor had any significant voltage on it.
Any help appreciated.
Brad

Old 11-14-2008, 04:40 AM   #2
brad_bb

Default update

I reposted in the S series forum with a better explanation and follow ups. I got my new horn(s) working. I still don't know what one of the factory wires was for. See that other post for more info.