Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Modifications > Videos/Photos/Stories

Old 03-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #11
DoubeD1DT

If you have the time for a clutch change out then you have enough time for a DOHC swap. Why not just go for the biggest perfomance gains for the buck? Honestly why even try to make it better if you are going to run a SOHC and why put a new clutch in a car that doesn't need it? Honestly I run a DOHC SL2 and it would still be a borderline waste to put a new clutch in it when i still need to doe things like exuast and rebuild the head and up compression.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DoubeD1DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #12
Crosby4026115

Looks Good. Im not much of a fan of stock rims but these look nice on your car. What size tire is on there? if they are the orginal Ion tire then they are too big. Your SL should be running a 195/50-16 or 205/50-16. the 195 is near perfect but very hard to find. looks good.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crosby4026115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:12 AM   #13
DemonSatty

Thanks for comments!

they are factory(?) Ion Firestone Firehawks, = too big. (ive had that tire calc bookmarked for a while, good tool)

The clutch needs replacing, thats why im doing it. the throw-out bearing whines at me sometimes and the engagement point is way higher than it should be.

If I were to put a DOHC in, the DOHC would be built before hand outisde the car. IE a good N/A build. I just dont feel like doing that right now. I use the car as my daily, I love the 29mpg city too much to stick in a DOHC for just a bit more power. More power to do what? make faster deliveries? A few easy bolt ons on the current motor will be fine for my uses. The times when I want more power are far surpassed by the number of times I want better handling, so thats what im attacking first. Thats why Im keeping my SOHC, the fuel econ. Like I said, when Im ready to have a 'performance' AND a great daily car, I will get an Sx2.

Doube, my point exactly, 'maintance before performance'. a worn clutch, bad AC, dying TAM, sloppy susp bushings, etc....the car does have almost 100,000 on it now, its time for some basic maintance. Now, while Im at it, I might as well replace old worn parts with better-than-stock performing parts, thats just fun!
Old 03-25-2007, 04:06 AM   #14
DoubeD1DT

you really only get 29miles per gallon?

Old 03-25-2007, 04:34 AM   #15
DemonSatty

yes for pure city driving, and I do delivery as a job, so the car sits running while I make the delivery etc. On the highway its much better, around 38-41mpg.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:46 AM   #16
DoubeD1DT

oh ok makes more sense.