Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Modifications > Performance Modifications

Old 08-12-2015, 05:19 AM   #1
avarusbrightfyre

Default Thinking about fixing up my ION

I bought my 2007 Ion 2.4L brand new and haven't really done much with it. I've been thinking lately that I'd like to turn it into a moderately badass sleeper, and I'm wondering how much it would cost to pump the horsepower from stock to up around 300. I don't want to mess around with nitrous, so obviously a turbo/supercharger and whatever internal rebuild/reinforcing kit that requires along with the appropriate exhaust and fuel management and computer system upgrades. I think I'm going to lean with the supercharger because it's a daily driver and I really want smog legal and simpler install/maintenance. Anyone done this before able to give a round figure for start to finish? I know there are things I'm not thinking about, so fire away!

avarusbrightfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:07 AM   #2
07sataura

research research is what ive always been told man, sounds like a cool idea i'm wondering if you could put a redline engine in your ion as a engine swap to make it cheaper if you got one at a wreckers should be a pretty basic swap or no?, seeing as the redlines come factory supercharged and you'd be starting with an engine thats rated at 205 to the wheels if i'm not mistaken..., then do your stage upgrades...
07sataura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:08 AM   #3
goaliemo
Community Moderator

Welcome to the forum!

I am quite jealous you have a 2.4 Ion.

You will need to do the internals, as yours are only good to about 225ish, give or take, depending on tune.

300 would be a lot more realistic with a turbo. But the supercharger route will get you pretty close.
Although, if youre building the motor, a tvs 1320 will get you about 350.
If you use the stock Ion Redline supercharger set up, with a built motor, you could easily see close to 300.
You would need most components from the Ion Redline/Cobalt SS/SC anyway, such as the intake mani, intercooler, heat exchanger, boost bypass, solenoid, alternator, belt, etc.

And remember, COOLING MODS ARE EVERYTHING!

You can get a full kit from ZZP for 3k I believe. Although it may just be cheaper to buy a wrecked car so you have everything there.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion

Last edited by goaliemo; 08-12-2015 at 07:14 AM..
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:10 AM   #4
goaliemo
Community Moderator

We were along the same lines bud!
No, you would need the full car to do that swap as you would be converting basically the entire car harness over.
Honestly, most will disagree with me, but the 2.4 is the better motor. Put some forged internals in it, boost it, and it can be quicker than a stage 3 redline.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
Old 08-12-2015, 07:13 AM   #5
07sataura

wow see thats something i did not know i always thought the 2.0l engine was the more saught after and better engine i love learning even on other saturns that i have never had..., the 2.4 can actually be quicker then a stage 3 redline i guess it makes sense seeing as if you build the 2.4 engine its a bigger engine...
Old 08-12-2015, 07:16 AM   #6
goaliemo
Community Moderator

Indeed, it can. ZZP offers a 2.4 LSJ (redline motor bored out), which the higher compression is great for superchargers.
Takes a bit more money to get the stock 2.4 there, but well worth it in the long run if you ask me.
My dream car is a charcoal grey Ion sedan with a boosted 2.4
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
Old 08-12-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
avarusbrightfyre

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Is there a list somewhere of all the engine parts (other than the supercharger parts) that will need to be upgraded? I know all the higher pressures require more stout internal parts than that stock components provide. I looked at the ZZP kit you mentioned and it doesn't appear to have any internal engine parts listed, which makes sense to me. I assume I have to find a separate engine upgrade kit or something like that for the internals?

Also, is the "heat exchanger" listed in the ZZP 2.4L kit the same thing as an intercooler?
avarusbrightfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #8
goaliemo
Community Moderator

No, the kit is the bolt on supercharger kit.

As for engine internals, they do not sell a kit for it.

But ZZP does sell everything you would need.
http://zzperformance.com/ecotec/engine.html
you have the 2.4/LE5

And no, the heat exchanger is what the intercooler pump runs through.
It says in the description that it comes with the Bosch intercooler pump/bracket
http://zzperformance.com/ecotec/supe...ger-kit-1.html

And if you do order that kit, I highly recommend getting the stealth heat exchanger over the stage 3 redline one. It cost a bit more, but your car will like it A LOT better.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
Old 08-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #9
goaliemo
Community Moderator

And thinking about it, I probably have some extra parts I could sell you for a lot cheaper. But if youre building the motor, you may as well do everything brand new so you get a warranty.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
Old 08-12-2015, 07:07 PM   #10
07sataura

man if u go through with this project u must do a build thread on here..., that thing would be a beast when ur done with it