Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Modifications > Performance Modifications

Old 08-14-2015, 05:22 AM   #21
avarusbrightfyre

At this point, suspension is sort of low on my list. I kind of want the high impact stuff first so I'll feel like my money is going somewhere and it will motivate me to keep tweaking. I won't be taking the car to the track or anything...at least not until I'm close to being totally finished with it. It's my daily driver, so I won't really be racing it or doing any craziness with it, just a 0-60 test every other stoplight or so. :P Suspension will make it handle better for sure, but won't give me that rush that will make it all feel worth it. I will definitely look into the parts, though.

Intake and exhaust are sort of my priority right now. I don't know that I'm going to do a complete and total engine rebuild...only if that's necessary to get the sort of horsepower I'm looking for and even then I'm not sure. If I can get upwards of 250 without completely tearing the engine apart, I might stop there. Laziness....lol. That and the fact that it's my daily driver and I can't leave my car disassembled for more than a weekend. With regard to exhaust, when you say "catted", are you talking about the catalytic converter? I'm not up on all the jargon, lol. Either way, whatever setup I do needs to be smog legal (damn California), so the converter will be there regardless. I'm not taking this stuff off every time I need to get it inspected. Again...the laziness!

My pie in the sky idea is supercharger kit, just enough internal engine reinforcement to prevent long term damage, a decent exhaust/muffler setup, and some fuel system upgrades and be done with the engine. Maybe later I'll throw some nitrous on there just for some extra fun, but probably not. That stuff is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing...and I definitely do not! Won't be doing the Michigan trip thing. Might be able to get $7k together after a year or so, but I'm so done with cross country drives, lol.

Probably get that stronger clutch in soon after that so the stock one doesn't burn up with all that extra power. It's the original and has never been replaced... May actually do that before everything else since I'm trying to do the preventative stuff first, though I'm not sure yet. Craving that pull of that supercharger.

Rear disk conversion will definitely be shortly after that. Extra power needs extra stopping power, and discs make all the difference...or so I hear anyway.

As far as short throws, I'm mostly looking for a tighter feel, not necessarily a shorter throw. The shifter in Saturns always feel so loose to me and I want something that doesn't wiggle around so much. I want it to click right in there without having to search for it...which I admit happens to me sometimes. It doesn't necessarily have to be "short throw"...just tight.

Can I see some pics of your gauge setup? The interior of the IONs are weird with the console in the middle and I can't envision what a fully gauged setup would look like in one. Definitely want to do as much customizing on the interior as I can since I'm leaving the outside somewhat plain. Gauges, pedals, sportier steering wheel, racing seats (but not ones that look like it), stuff like that.

My ION has a white exterior and black interior. I love the contrast! Yeah, no wing on the back...might leave it that way. I've never seen a Saturn wing that really looked good. Feel you on the body kits...haven't found any that look much better than stock. Still, I'd like something that squares out and widens the bottom a little to make it look a little more aggressive. Came stock with fog lights and will definitely replace the headlights. May get retarded and throw some neon under there...I've always been a fan of undercarriage lighting. But honestly exterior is absolutely last on my list.

Current: 2007 Saturn ION 2.4L Coupe - Stock....so far

Previous: 1999 Saturn SC2, 1991 Saturn SL2
avarusbrightfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:46 AM   #22
goaliemo
Community Moderator

Intake on the n/a compared to boosted is completely different. So don't waste your money on that just yet. And when the time comes, do a zzp 3 in. The k&n sounds good, but is actually smaller than the stock set up on all Ions. So that brings flow to crap.

I am about to go look. I don't know what your mileage is, but you may not even need to do more than head work if youre just shooting for 250-300. I want to double check myself before I give anymore information on that.

Yes, I was talking about a catalytic converter...sorry, haha. Damn smog, glad I don't have that here. Lmao.

GMPP clutch. Havent put one in my car yet, but the one in my buddies redline...YES, SO MUCH YES!
Don't do a triple disc. Test drove a cobalt with one, wanted to take a hammer to the car.

FWD braking is 70/30. 70 front, 30 back. So I wouldn't make it a HUGE priority, but definitely something in the future.

OTTP makes a great short throw from others reviews. Josh (the owner) is a great guy, as well. I have done business with him several time. If you go with that over the Hurst, just email him first.
There is a new ebay brand one a few people are using, that claim its just as good, and around $70. Not bad at all.
Wait, just thought about it, you don't have the reverse lock out like the redlines/cobalts do. The OTTP one might not work. Again, you would need to email him. Hurst makes both though.

I only have the interceptor in right now. That is in a dual gauge pod, and I found the tach steering column pod that I need to install as well. I can post pictures tomorrow though for yuh.

Cant seem to find the link at the moment to the "sports pedal" package that is out for our cars. They look nice though. I guess you could do some wheel spacers and wider tires to fill the fenders/quarter panels in a bit.

I just ordered a kit to retro my headlights. Just a basic projector with xenons, and going to paint the housing. I was going to have them made, but the sets from the well known people start at around 350...No thanks, ill do it myself. I have an extra set of lights if I screw up. So no biggie. 125 for a set of lights, and 96 for a good projector and decent xenon bulb kit. Not name brand, but the reviews said just as good. Probably wont have time to do em before I leave to go out of town for work though.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:29 AM   #23
avarusbrightfyre

Oh, I figured the supercharger kit would come with the appropriate intake. Is that something that can be swapped in the ZZP kit? I saw it came with the K&N intake.

Just headwork would be awesome! I think my mileage just hit 130k, so not super high yet. Really only looking at up to 300 hp at this point. May try to push up to 350 or more once the car is totally done for my "phase 1" work, but I think 300 for a street car is good enough for the first go around.

Reverse lockout? Are you talking about it preventing me from shifting into reverse while moving forward? If so, my transmission doesn't allow that. I tried once just to see because I'm curious about random things like that and the shift gate (or whatever you the mechanism that prevents you from making stupid/dangerous shifts) wouldn't open while I was in motion.

I remember at one point way in the past I found some awesome chrome pedals that had the Saturn logo on them with backgrounds in red or black (I'd obviously do black). I need to see if I can find those again.

The one mod I did a long while back was rims and tires. Couldn't live with the stock alloy wheels. Yuck! It's a wider rim and the cheap tires I just bought actually look really nice, if not top of the line performance. I used to have super low-pro tires, but those are a lot more expensive so I've gone with a thicker tire. Still way better than stock, though. They fill up the well pretty good and actually stick out of the well just a little bit on the sides. Makes it look like the wheels are just slightly wider than the body of the car, so it looks more aggressive than any stock ION would. Again, when I get a chance to take some pics in good lighting I'll post them. That's if I can...you said something about minimum posts before pictures I think.

I'd love to get the modern LED headlights, but I think California has a law about those...can't get them unless it came stock on the vehicle. Maybe that's just the "they can't be blue colored" part...but I have to look it up again. I really like the taillights on my car; they look really nice and haven't fogged up at all except the clear part for the back-up lights. Headlights definitely need total replacing, though. Tried using a cleaner and it seemed to work for about a week, then it started fogging up again. Besides, I want a better look anyway.

Of course, the car needs a serious detailing job. So many scratches over the years....

Old 08-14-2015, 01:27 PM   #24
avarusbrightfyre

Contacted ZZP asking about internals upgrades and got the following response:
__________________________________________________ ____
What year is your 2.4L? the 2007 and older will hold 8 lbs of boost reliably in stock trim. 2008+ have weak rods, and will need to be gone thru for anything over 5 lbs.

If you want to build the lower end to hold anything an M62 can throw at it, I would run our 4340 rods, and forged pistons. A new stock head gasket, with ARP head studs would make that engine VERY strong.

__________________________________________________ ____

I have a 2007, so my initial assumption is that I won't require any additional engine work for my first performance go around, since I'm only really doing the supercharger kit, exhaust/muffler, minor fuel system work and a better clutch to handle the extra power.

If my assumption is correct, I'll stop there and move on to the next "system", i.e. brakes and suspension. I can always do the internals later if I decide to try and go for more boost in the future.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #25
goaliemo
Community Moderator

Here is a thread stating you do have forged internals, but it is still recommended you replace for anything over 250- http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-...-build-295035/

8 pounds of boost is going to be a good bit to get started. And zzp can even send you a PCM with a tune. Youll need a crank case relearn with that though.
Unless you know someone with HPT who can tune, the dealer is the only one who can do that relearn.

130k? your motor is just braking in!

Did you have the alloy wheels they only made in 07?

92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
Old 08-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #26
avarusbrightfyre

Will the supercharger and exhaust setup get me up over 250? I didn't think it would with just the boltons. Thought I'd have to do some camshaft swaps and other internals to bump that up.

Can you explain the relearn? I know the ECU needs updating after that, but not sure about the crankcase deal.

Yeah, it came with the stock alloy wheels, but they were those plain gray crappy ones that are boring to look at. I took some pictures today. What's the post minimum for pics?

Old 08-14-2015, 06:30 PM   #27
goaliemo
Community Moderator

From what I was just reading, the supercharger kit, with good cooling mods and proper intake/exhaust can get you around 250 with a proper tune. Any more you will need to do internals.
You should look into a 2.1 hybrid build. That could you get up to 400. And probably be cheaper than a full build.
http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/...g-reading.html

Basically the le5 bottom end with lsj internals. You can buy an lsj block for 2-400 depending on mileage. But you would still need larger lsj pistons due to the larger bore.

Crank case relearn is just telling your computer whats going on with the crank. It will hurt fuel economy a bit, but that's just about it. Until the relearn.

People go crazy over those wheels. Ive been offered a good bit of money for them on some Ion groups. Just people don't want to pay shipping.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
Old 08-14-2015, 07:11 PM   #28
avarusbrightfyre

I switched out my rims pretty much as soon as I got the car, so I'm not sure they were going crazy over them back then. I'd never have known anyway, lol.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:24 PM   #29
goaliemo
Community Moderator

Ahh, yea. Theyre not as common now, so all the fan boys with the steel wheels are like OH EM GEE ION ALLOY WHEELS!
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
Old 08-14-2015, 07:32 PM   #30
avarusbrightfyre

Pictures, as promised. Sorry the car is so dirty. Haven't washed it in a few weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20150814_002.jpg (102.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150814_003.jpg (105.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150814_001.jpg (105.0 KB, 12 views)