Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn Aura

Old 05-03-2016, 01:43 AM   #1
jpbodiford

Default Chime Module

Trying to locate chime module on 2009 Saturn Aura XR. Barely audible and does not respond to manual instruction....

jpbodiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #2
derfderf

Turn the ignition on
Turn the radio off
Press and hold the last preset button (6).
Should allow you to set the volume level (for the dings)
I think you should see prompts indicating which sound level has been selected.

Is the balance knob off center on your radio?
I believe the chime sounds all come through driver's door speaker.

If the the 1st section is what you meant by manual instruction, don't know what to tell you other than ask a GM dealer

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:58 PM   #3
jpbodiford

Default Chime Module

Thanks for quick reply.. I must not have that feature that enables me to adjust chime volume. Speakers are working because I can just barely hear the chimes and Bluetooth phone works. Nothing happens when I depress the 6th FAVORITE button with switch on and radio off....Sounds like chime module needs replacing but I can't find anything that shows the location of module....Thanks....
Old 05-03-2016, 08:41 PM   #4
derfderf

I'm guessing the chime and turn signal sounds are being generated inside the radio when requested. Then come out the driver's speaker.

Why else would you control the chime volume through the radio interface? Especially if it is a vanilla radio w no touchscreen?

Old 05-03-2016, 10:48 PM   #5
jpbodiford

Default Chime Module

Thanks again for your fast response but none of that helps me. Do you know where the chime module is physically located in a 2009 Saturn Aura XR? I've searched many sites and YouTube videos but no luck with finding the location for the module. I couldn't even get a part number from GM that was specific, their site simply listed 'modules' with no meaningful description of any of them. I will keep looking and will let Saturn Spot know if I find what I need to know. Thanks again for the willingness to help me. I'm a senior citizen and a new owner of this Saturn and have no background with this vehicle. I'm finding out there are lots of electrical problems with them. I've had it for two months and am experiencing intermittent random door lock problems and I've had the electric power steering stop working while wife was driving. After turning off ignition and sitting for a few minutes then turning it on again it has been OK..(it's only been a few days). She won't drive it anymore.....There is a recall for that but my vehicle doesn't fall within the range of VIN numbers to qualify for fix which is about $1100 to have done if I choose to repair it......
Old 05-04-2016, 04:10 AM   #6
derfderf

I understand your frustration regarding me not being able to provide you the location of a physical chime module.

Please understand that there may not be a physical Chime unit like we are accustomed to seeing.
------------------------------------
From owner's manual 3-55:

Notice: The chime signals related to safety belts,parking brake, and other functions of your vehicle operate through the radio/entertainment system.
If that equipment is replaced or additional equipment is added to your vehicle, the chimes may not work.

Make sure that replacement or additional equipment is compatible with your vehicle before installing it.
See Accessories and Modifications on page 5-3.

----------------------------------------------

Also from Owner's Manual 3-92

Chime Level Adjustment

The radio may be used to adjust the vehicle’s chime level.

If the radio can be used to change the volume level of the chime, press and hold the sixth FAV softkey with the ignition on and the radio power off. The volume level changes between Normal and Loud. The selected volume level appears on the radio display.

Removing the radio and not replacing it with a factory
radio or chime module will disable vehicle chimes.

-----------------------------------
Based on the fact that you had 6 presets I'll assume it is the factory radio

The text in bold pretty much indicates (to me) that the vehicle chime sounds are produced IN the stock Saturn Radio upon request from the BCM (Body Control Module).

The above statement says you lose all chime functionality if you do not use the Saturn radio.
----------------
What puzzles me is the phrase "IF the radio can be used to change the volume level". Sounds like some radios permit adjustment, some don't. Maybe related to GM changing radio suppliers during 2009. The newer radios might not allow for Chime Volume adjustment.

But there may be another way to do it. I do not know what that is.
--------------------
Which pretty much leaves the left front speaker, the radio itself, or another unknown entity as the only other culprits.

Have you thoroughly tested the left front speaker and the rest of the audio system? Turn on the radio and turn the balance all the way to the left and the fade to the front. Then crank some music. If the speaker acts up then it has failed and is likely the cause of the quiet chime. This is apparently common in these cars. If it sounds fine and is equal in volume to the right front speaker with the balance in the center, then the speaker is not the issue.

------------------

Based on the fact that you have a 6 Preset saturn radio and the adjustment procedure does not work as advertised, I think it may be an issue w the radio. Does the rest of the radio function properly?

If you have a newer 2009 radio, I have no clue how to adjust chime volume.

---------------

If your left front speaker works properly I would suspect the radio.

In any event CALL a Certified Saturn Service GM Dealership, and CALL the service manager and describe the problem in detail. Have the VIN ready, as he can probably determine if your chime volume is adjustable or not.

If it is he'll indict the radio since the vol adjust menu entry sequence doesn't work. It may just need to be reprogrammed/recalibrated. Dunno.

The answer does not seem to be out on the net for your exact issue

This is the best I can do.

Stop pulling your hair out and just make the call.

Given the amount of time I've put into researching this, I'd really like to know the outcome -- so please come back and post the resolution.

Thanks

Derf

Old 05-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #7
jpbodiford

Default Chime Module

I'm sorry if it sounded like I'm frustrated with you, I'm very appreciative of your help and the time it takes to research this problem. I spent quite a bit of time manipulating the radio doing exactly what you suggested but with no positive result. I, like you, believe either the radio or BCM (body control module) is faulty. The reason I was looking for a stand alone chime module is from a You Tube video featuring a different model Saturn, not an Aura. I was hoping it would be the same for both models. Derf, I really do appreciate how much time you have spent doing this for me and I want to sincerely thank you for that effort. Maybe sometime I can return that kindness in some way. I will let you know what it takes to fix it if I decide to do so. It works, just not very loud for a pair of 76 year old ears! Thanks again...
Old 05-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #8
derfderf

No problem sir.

The Aura was a newish Saturn creation. Each Saturn model (S, L Ion, Aura, Vue, etc) has its own quirks and usually significant differences in how certain functionality is achieved.

The S cars did not have a BCM until 2000 (launched in 91)
The L cars had crap for BCM's (hardware and/or software) and fail at a miserable rate.

And so on down the lines.

I have read many posts regarding electrical issues with the Auras which is a shame since the reviews on the car were great.

I think the ESC and Stabilitrak were traced to out of spec manufactured cams, which, when they moved too much, would set off a chain of events that lead to the disabling of those two systems. There was absolutely nothing wrong with either

Cars today are certainly not like the ones I'm sure you enjoyed working on.

By eye.
By ear.
By feel.
By experience.

Back when people would replace the brushes in alternators and generators.
Back when all the accessories in your 68 Continental were vacuum driven.

I need to learn how to rebuild a carb from my brother in law so the art will live on with at least one person.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:37 AM   #9
jpbodiford

Default chime module

Hi Derf, Well, I got in my Saturn this morning to door chimes!!!! Nothing I did, it just started beeping away. I can hear the turn signals now.. Just evidence of weird electronic gremlins in this vehicle......I'm sure something else will raise it's ugly head....Stand by.....
Old 05-09-2016, 05:03 AM   #10
derfderf

Default Ding!

Actually,

My ability to fix merely by my presence misbehaving computers or electronics-related stuff has been well documented at the last job I worked.

In fact, I fixed a friend's wireless network range extender this weekend by being on the phone while she repeated the same configuration steps she had performed for days without success.

Maybe my presence can now be sensed on the net....(?)

Enjoy your DING! DING ! DING!

For now anyway.