Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Modifications > Performance Modifications

Old 09-03-2015, 03:58 PM   #51
avarusbrightfyre

So I contacted ZZP about parts and stuff and he tells me that they're not CARB exempt, which means it won't pass California smog. Pretty much kills any idea I had of fixing up the car. I'm not switching out parts every time I need to do a smog check....

Unless you guys know of a distributor who does smog legal supercharger/exhaust systems.

Current: 2007 Saturn ION 2.4L Coupe - Stock....so far

Previous: 1999 Saturn SC2, 1991 Saturn SL2
avarusbrightfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:32 AM   #52
goaliemo
Community Moderator

You can boost the car smog legal.
Basically you would be running a stage 2 set up on your car (due to the motor), and on the exhaust side you would have to stay with a catalytic converter, resonator, and muffler.
Assuming supercharged, that is.

Even with a turbo set up, you would just need to keep a cat, resonator, and muffler on the car.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:39 PM   #53
avarusbrightfyre

I need to do more research on it. California is really ridiculous when it comes to smog. A lot of times even modifying the system from stock can make you fail smog. We have a visual inspection here as well as the emissions test. Any part you switch out has to have some certification with it; I don't remember what it is, but ZZP is saying it doesn't have it.

Anyway, I'll look into it at some point and see if it's still feasible or not. I'd love to do my car, but it's just a lot of work having to switch out all that stuff every time I need to do a check.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #54
goaliemo
Community Moderator

I know from reading on SS dot net quite a few people heavily mod their balts and get away with smog, but im sure they know someone who knows someone.

Definitley a good idea to look into it first though so you don't have to swap everything out each time.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
Old 03-28-2016, 08:12 PM   #55
avarusbrightfyre

So I sort of dropped the idea of doing anything with my car after finding out about the whole supercharger kits not being smog legal thing, but I'm sort of returning back to the idea...mostly because my wife just got a new car and I can't justify the cost of buying a new one myself when mine works just fine and has many years left on it. Certainly not set on fixing it up by any means, as I'm just not into having to switch out parts every couple of years just to get through smog. I'm hoping for a single installation and then any minor repairs that need to be done on occasion.

I don't suppose there are any other California owners here who know of any Saturn Ion supercharger kits that are approved for California? I'm looking for both the intake and exhaust side; I'm under the impression from previous discussions that my engine came standard with strong enough internals to handle a modest amount of boost. I figure rather than trying to research it myself and hope I find valid information that actually pertains to my state, I might find someone who's actually gone through it here and might know a way to make it work without having to tear the thing down every time I have to get it checked.

Any information would be appreciated.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #56
goaliemo
Community Moderator

I'm sure you can find way more info about California emissions on either redline forums or cobalt SS dot net about getting through the smog.

But there is no difference with a California redline/cobalt SS as to the others. (My redline is from Cali originally).

I'm sure if you used the stock redline intake and stock redline exhaust, you could pass smog no problem.
The intake would have to be off a redline since its different from the balts.
Exhaust is the same. Although I doubt it would matter as long as you have a cat/resonator/muffler.

As far as a kit, you could get a used one for around 800 from a guy named Jeffrey reiland. He is on Facebook. Or on ss dot net as mongorat.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
Old 04-20-2016, 06:21 PM   #57
avarusbrightfyre

I wonder if the stock system would fit on a 2.4L engine. I know it's just a difference in cylinder size, but I'd have to see if the exhaust ports are different at all and obviously it would require a custom ECU since the displacement is not as it would be on the stock redline.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:37 AM   #58
derfderf

Interesting....

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #59
goaliemo
Community Moderator

The ports from a 2.0 exhaust manifold are a touch bigger and don't require a tune. The tune would help get max performance out of it though.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion