Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn S-Series

Old 09-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
pOppa_dOk
Banned

Post 1998 SL1 wiring

My sat burned the hide off a wire running from the ignition switch when I cranked it earlier this week .. It was running when I killed it. The "keys in ignition" chime had been stuck on for a few days I.E. it would chime after removing the keys when the door was open. I am looking for a wiring diagram of the harness that plugs directly into the back of the switch.. in order to ID the function of the burnt wire and work from there.
Anybody?
and Thanks in advance!!
OK the burnt wire is a small gauge black one running from well "E" there is a bit of collateral scorching on adjacent wires .
question , is this a known issue and and any idea of what may have caused it

Last edited by pOppa_dOk; 09-13-2012 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: more info
pOppa_dOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
Ssicarman

Welcome to the Board.

I have seen a few of these happen. If I recall correctly it is a ground wire. I would try splicing in a new piece of wire of the same gauge. From there monitor the wire and the car for any issues. Repair/replace connectors and other wires as needed.

Will the car start and run with the burnt wire?
Old 09-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
pOppa_dOk
Banned

yes , it is a ground. the car was running fine when I shut her down. I am thinking the wire in question is the ground for the Key-minder. if that is the case then I am hoping that I can just clip it...
The real chore will be tracing the burnt wire through the harness to check for collateral damage ... I have gone as far as the "T-Bone" .
I have been an ASE master cert. collision repair professional for many years but lack of experience with the wiring on newer cars leads me to hunt for as many diagrams as possible. I found what I could on AllData this weekend while at my old shop in Memphis. just didnt ID what this wire grounds..
I will clip,reconnect the battery crank her up ...and keep my fingers crossed(with a fire extinguisher handy)
By the way , my Saturn relationship goes all the way to the beginning when I worked at Gwatney Chevrolet in Memphis . When they opened Saturn of Memphis I was honored to be made the official Saturn Paint Tech.
pOppa_dOk is offline   Reply With Quote