Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn S-Series > Saturn S-Series - Technical

Old 06-16-2007, 02:42 AM   #1
kyleb

Default shifter being hard to shift

i thiunk it miught be the syncros? but im not sure...its hard to go back into first gear when i get to a stop,its like i have to force it..other times itll go in fine?!
1st to second gears is tough and in makes like a crunching noise when i shift it not a grinding tho liek if you miss o n a shift

kyleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:27 AM   #2
PurdueGuy

another possibility is binding cables, especially if they're aftermarket cables.
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:44 AM   #3
the Shaolin UWP

cables.
14.526 at 98.08 on the juice
the Shaolin UWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:11 AM   #4
kyleb

those are under the shift bag? or down by the tranny.... where can i buy some new ones?
thanx guys
Old 06-16-2007, 07:31 AM   #5
turbo_saturn85

They go from the shifter to the transmission. You will want to spend the money and buy them from the dealer or find a nice pair from the junkyard. Aftermarket brand cables are horrible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
turbo_saturn85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
kyleb

ok is it tought to install? how long should it take
do i have to get under the car?? what tools would i need?
thank you u guys!
also wahts the cost at a dealer there isnt on close by me(balpark range) i know the dealers like to rape you
Old 06-16-2007, 02:43 PM   #7
PurdueGuy

Actually on many parts the Saturn dealers don't price gouge too badly. It will seem like it on cables, because they do cost more at the dealer, but the thing is that the cables from Saturn are way way better than the cables you'd get at autozone, pepboys, etc. Those aftermarket cables from the parts stores have a reputation for doing exactly what it sounds like your cables are doing - sometimes almost right after you install them new.

If you don't have a dealership anywhere near you, you could order them from saturnparts.net - it's a dealership selling parts online, and at a little bit of a discount. Just to warn you, be ready to pay $150-200 for a set of new cables. The other option is to find some good used ones. Have any junkyards around you with some Saturns in them? It could actually help you with the install to first remove them from a car you don't have to worry about treating nicely...
Old 06-17-2007, 12:02 AM   #8
trowa

If you shift into 2nd then shift into 1st does it go in easier? I had a honda like that before... the clutch was going out.
91 Honda Civic Dx hatchback - Sold
99 Swapped b20 Honda Civic Ex coupe - Sold
94 Saturn SL2 - Daily beater
trowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:23 AM   #9
kyleb

i think every gear was equally a pain in the ass to get into except meybe like 5th... today its undrivable i literralyy had to use some real strenth to get it in to first gear, after i put it in 1st gear i relized theres no way i can drive this..so i got in to my z28 and left lol

there is a pick and pull here... but its mostly older saturns like 1st gens with the cables from those work? how bpout a single cam set of cables..i dont see why they wouldnt..but i know they all have difrent trannys so.....
mine is a 97 sc2
what tools i need do i havce to get unde the car? those pick in pull cars are hella sick and i dont want to be under one at all!!!
also if somone can shoiw me a picture of all the parts i need would be super awesome id hate to leave a part behind if i do go the pick and pull route
Old 06-17-2007, 02:59 AM   #10
PurdueGuy

you can get the cables from double or single cam manual tranny cars. There are 2 cables, which are connected by a grommet that you'll have to pop out of/into the firewall.

On the tranny, each of the cables is held on by 2 clips (4 total on the tranny end of the cables).

Then there is the grommet that's in the firewall, which you'll want to push out from the inside of the car (prying on it from the underside tends to just tear the grommet up).

Once you have the center console out, you'll see a bracket in front of the shifter that will need removed (just need a small socket). There is a plastic clip in the shifter housing that will need popped loose, and there are the two end connectors for the cables that hook to the shifter. One will pop loose with a pair of flatheads prying out ward on each side of the cable bushing, the other is a little tougher - I usually put locking pliers on it and twist it til it pops loose.