Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Community > Rants And Raves!

Old 02-11-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
jrmech94

Angry How!!!

Can someone please explain to me why my 1994 sl2 auto trans is getting 1MPG!!! Yes thats 1MPG!! 1!!! I can drive down a road and literally watch my fuel gauge very slowly drop!!! I only drove 5 miles today and happened to go from just above full to a half tank!!! And i checked and i am not leaking gas!! And nobody is siphoning it im absolutely sure!! Anyones help please!!!

jrmech94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
Leon Lion
Banned

check to see if there is anything coming from your exhaust pipe like a liquid. If there is nothing then the problem might be in your throtlbody unless it is fuel injected
Leon Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
Leon Lion
Banned

also what type of gas are you using because that really dose make a defference. Arco gas is not that great. I found that 76 will go much farther then any other gas and yes there really is a defference in the gas

Last edited by Leon Lion; 02-12-2011 at 12:04 AM..
Leon Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
RjION

"throtlbody unless it is fuel injected" What are you talking about? One it is fuel injected, 2 it has a throttlebody not a carburator and they are not the same thing in any way shape or form .... Next useless idea.

Shut up and drive.
I have SL2, SW2, & ION pictures in the gallery under SaturnSdn & RjION
RjION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:26 AM   #5
john doe

run the gauge to empty and see if you actually run out of gas .you could just have a bad float or bad gauge.if your engine was actually consuming that much gas it wouldnt run.
if it actually did you would have tons of black smoke coming out and heavy gas smell.
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:44 AM   #6
Onearmedbandit86

He was trying to say throttlbody injection or multiport injection.....sarcasm will get no friends here.....
Onearmedbandit86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:35 AM   #7
jrmech94

actually, i have run it down to empty before. the car acted funny and stalled. So i know the fuel gauge is giving me correct readings. now back to the mpg issue, i am still getting 1 mpg but no smoke or anything. In the morning it starts like a diesel engine until it starts to get warm then it sounds normal. but other than that it gives off the same exhaust as any other car. Now today i put my car in the garage and got to work on it for a few hours. I pulled out each of the spark plugs and theyre all full of junk and black so im going to replace those. I checked the ECTS and thats fine, but the oxygen sensor was completely black and rough, so i might replace that. And in addition to these my oil got so black so fast it scares me, so im going to get a complete oil change once i get it running with the new plugs and sensors. hopefully i can get the mpg back up to 18 city at least!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #8
SlowMo
Banned

I've seen something like this before. Check your fuel pressure regulator for a leak. Its a round thing attached to your fuel rail where the fuel lines are connected.
To check it, just pull the vacuum line off the regulator and see if any fuel comes out. (You'll have to have the engine running or cycle the key to get the fuel pump turned on) There should be no fuel coming out at all. A regulator with an internal leak will cause problems exactly like you describe.
SlowMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:53 AM   #9
RjION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onearmedbandit86 View Post
He was trying to say throttlbody injection or multiport injection.....sarcasm will get no friends here.....
I'm not here to collect friends, facts and usefull information is the only information needed. Posting rubbish is one thing and only one thing .... rubbish.

Shut up and drive.
I have SL2, SW2, & ION pictures in the gallery under SaturnSdn & RjION
RjION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
jrmech94

alright you guys, i have replaced my spark plugs to start, which i found out upon removing them that they were oil fouled and full of gunk. Then i proceeded to replace my fuel filter, and watching as the fuel spilled out of it, noticed there was leaves in it. LEAVES!! how does that happen! then i lit the gas on fire in my garage to warm me up a bit. And lastly i changed the very old oil in my car, along with the oil filter too. the old oil was 10w30 and was brown and gritty and just gross. i put in valvoline 300k mile 5w30 oil in it... overall, my car can now maintain a certain speed for a greater time before i have to tap the gas again, it starts up smoothly, depending on how cold it is outside, and my gas gauge seems to barely drop anymore, which is very good! And soon i am going to change the stock plastic ects for a brass one, and get a new oxygen sensor, cuz its shot and occasionally smokes.