Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn Aura > Saturn Aura - Technical

Old 07-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #1
imaddicted2u

Default 2008 Aura XE 3.5l

I recently bought a 2008 Aura XE 3.5l. It works great but I have a few little issues.
The Tire Pressure Monitor System is displaying dashes for all the tires. I tried to use the increase/decrease relearn method but it didn't work and when it timed out the service tire monitor message began to be displayed.
I had it to a dealer today and they couldn't figure out what is wrong. The service order says the tire pressure monitor tool can pick up all the tires and was able to communicate with the RCDLC but he couldn't perform the programming sequence using passthrough and that codes C0750-08, C0755-08, C0760-08 and C0765-08 are stored for all 4 tire pressure sensors.
The same module, RCDLC, communicates with tire sensors and the RKE fobs. Only one of my fobs was working at the start. As part of the procedure I asked that they get both key fobs working. The service order says that both fobs were reprogrammed and tested. However, the fob that was working doesn't work now and the one that wasn't working is now working. Since the car was to the dealer, the service tire monitor message is no longer displayed but the tire pressures are still showing up as dashes so the tech must have reset something.
All in all it was a wasted 4 hours and $111.

I also noticed today that the odometer reading on the service order was the same as on the receipt for the tires I bought last week, so the odometer is not updating but both of the trip odometers are updating and the speedometer is working fine. Now I have no idea how many miles is actually on the car. Anyone have any thought what could be causing the odometer not updating?

imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:36 AM   #2
goaliemo
Community Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Please stop by the New Member section to introduce yourself.

You have me at a loss. It sounds like an electrical issue though, such as a shortage sending a misconnection to the tire pressure.

As for the odometer, I believe their is a sensor on the wiring between the dash and transmission. Not 100% on that, but something to look into.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:23 AM   #3
imaddicted2u

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliemo View Post
You have me at a loss. It sounds like an electrical issue though, such as a shortage sending a misconnection to the tire pressure.

As for the odometer, I believe their is a sensor on the wiring between the dash and transmission. Not 100% on that, but something to look into.
I wish I had confidence that the dealer was knowledgeable but I don't. Since one of the RKE fobs works I think it proves that the receiver works. The tech screwed up when programming the fobs, both have to be programmed, one after the other. A new one can't just be be programmed. The RKE receiver does the tire pressure sensors too, so I don't see why they wouldn't be picked up by the receiver. Too much black magic in this stuff and we pay while they learn, not fair really.

I did some research and I figure the instrument cluster was replaced with a used one before I bought the car. The VIN gets locked to the cluster after so may ignition cycles and the mileage of the previous car gets locked in and when it is put into another car it displays the mileage of the other car and does not update. From what I can tell the actual mileage is stored in the BCM. So, I guess I need to buy a new or refurbished cluster that does not have the lock set and it will get its mileage from the BCM.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:14 AM   #4
goaliemo
Community Moderator

The issue with the cluster is that a stealership needs to program it to your vin. So they can just flash the one you have so you don't have to spend any more money.

Im surprised they don't have some sort of self programming like with the ions. I can order a remote offline and program it myself.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
Old 07-22-2015, 07:13 AM   #5
derfderf

ah, bcms and saturns -- a hate hate relationship. Be glad you didn't own an L car The BCM would slowly fry and different electrical stuff would start failing; my favorite was when it corrupted the mileage from 84K to 633K MI

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:22 AM   #6
goaliemo
Community Moderator

I have also fried the BCM in my Ion... a lot of fun!
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
Old 07-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
imaddicted2u

Quote:
The issue with the cluster is that a stealership needs to program it to your vin. So they can just flash the one you have so you don't have to spend any more money.

Im surprised they don't have some sort of self programming like with the ions. I can order a remote offline and program it myself.
In order to program a Remote fob now, a GM tech2 tool is required to program it which requires a trip to the "stealership" so they can lighten your wallet.

Information I have been finding on the instrument cluster indicates that even the dealer can't reprogram the VIN into this cluster.
Here is a service bulletin I found:
PIC4554A: Swapping Clusters / Mileage Will Not Accumulate - keywords BCM counter inop inoperative IP IPC increase instrument locked MEC miles odo odometer swap trip - (Nov 12, 200

Subject:

Swapping Clusters/Mileage will NOT Accumulate

Models:

2007 Saturn Aura

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIC4554.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

In the cluster there is a component called a MEC (Manufacturing Enable Counter) that counts down from 256 to 0 and reduces 1 count per ignition cycle. When the counter gets to 0 the cluster is "Locked" and therefore whatever VIN is in the cluster at that time remains and it is locked. When you put a locked cluster into another vehicle the trip mileage will accumulate and roll over at 999.9 but the mileage on the permanent odometer will not increase. The mileage however, is stored in the BCM and when the correct cluster is put back into the vehicle the mileage should read correctly.

Note: Production (Fairfax) made a recent change to set this MEC to 0 when it passes DVT. Therefore when a car gets to the dealership and you swap a cluster (for testing purposes) it will not work correctly.

Recommendation/Instructions:

While it is not recommended, a cluster may be swapped from another vehicle. You need to drive the vehicle over 1 mile to verify that the regular odometer will increase. If it increases then cluster will work in vehicle. If however, the mileage doesn't increase (remember that trip odometer will increase) then cluster is been locked (MEC = 0) and will not work in the vehicle.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:18 PM   #8
goaliemo
Community Moderator

Interesting.
You might want to try a different dealer than, and see what they can do about the cluster as well. Mileage is kind of important.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
Old 07-23-2015, 10:37 PM   #9
imaddicted2u

Quote:
Interesting.
You might want to try a different dealer than, and see what they can do about the cluster as well. Mileage is kind of important.
Next nearest dealer is a few hours away but even a dealer canít reset the VIN and lock flag. Only an authorized GM electronic service center can do it by swapping it for a refurbished cluster. That cluster will read the VIN from the car when it is installed and after 256 ignition cycles, the VIN lock flag gets set and it will become locked to that VIN.
Today, I signed up for a minimum Onstar plan for a month, no 3 month free trial for us Canadians. I asked for an on demand diagnostic, no errors other than the tire pressure monitor system, which the dealer hasn't been able to fix. I asked the dealer to get both my key fobs working too as only one was working. In the end, the tire pressure monitor system still doesn't work, the key fob that worked, doesn't anymore and the key fob the didn't work, works now. Still only one of my key fobs work. They worked on it for 4 hours and charged me over $100. As a result, I have little faith in the dealer.
I asked Onstar to look up the odometer reading. She read back 196,774 kms. The dash is stuck at 166,244 kms. Obviously Onstar is not getting the odometer reading from the instrument cluster.
So the car has 30k more kilometers on it than I thought it did when I bought it.
Now that I'm sure the actual mileage can be retrieved from the BCM, I suppose I can live with the dash not changing. God knows what the dealer would charge.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:46 AM   #10
goaliemo
Community Moderator

Good information right there, thank you for sharing.
Either way, the tire pressure monitor system needs to get fixed.

I found this on another forum, may be worth a shot:
1. Take one set of aura keys put in ignition and turn to on/acc dont start car.
2. push info key on wheel until you get to the LF 32psi RF 32psi screen.
3. With other Key FOb, standing outside of car, depress both lock and unlock buttons and hold until horn honks twice and driver side turnlamp illuminates and stays on.
4. remolve valve stem cover, depress with any object such as opposite end of air gauge. Remove air continusly until horn honks, then go to FR, Then LR, Then RR. the horn honks and the light comes on each side when its time.
5. THe horn honks three times, you have succesfully reset the system.
6. plus you can view accurate uptodate air pressure in/on the dic.
7. then air up each tire to the recommended tire pressure for your car/wheels.
8. All my tires are re-learned, the dic is exactly correct with each tire and the air gauge. it was easy, and fun, no problems.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion