Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn L-Series

Old 12-04-2016, 08:34 PM   #1
dukefame

Default Steering Vibration and noise

My girlfriends 2004 L300 has developed a sudden noise/vibration in the steering column that acts like power steering trouble. No leak. Hard to turn particularly at slower speeds. Her mechanic insisted that it was not the power steering unit but the "bushings" and explained to her they help help the wheels in line when you turn. This does in no way feel like a tie rod or wheel issue to me. The vibration feels isolated to the steering column and is consistent through all speeds and terrain and does not change when turning. I've had and replaced mechanical suspension problems on all sorts of vehicles and this definitely does not feel like any of that. Since this is my first experience working with a Saturn I thought I would ask. I don't really want to throw parts at a problem I'm not certain about.

-Duke

dukefame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:05 AM   #2
derfderf

Does the frequency of the noise change with the increase in the speed of the vehicle or the rpms?

Is it a moaning sound when you turn the wheel or is the sound coming through and at all times?

What does it sound like under the hood while someone has it in DRIVE (engine has a load on it) and rotates the steering wheel lock to lock?

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #3
dukefame

I drove it a couple of times after she mentioned the problem. It feels like a constant vibration/groan definitely in the column itself. It is worse when turning especially at low speed. I couldn't hear anything with the hood popped (no fluid leaking) but I didn't have it in drive.

Having redone more than a few tie rods/bearings/etc. this does not have the feel of suspension.

She's taking it into the dealer tomorrow to have it assessed after which I will likely be doing the work.
dukefame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:15 AM   #4
Lillian

dukefame, Have you solved the problem? I wonder how to fix this same issue too.
Lillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #5
derfderf

Not sure why he did not provide answers to my simple questions....?

Anyway my WAG is intermediate steering shaft or associated bearing. I don't see too many other things that could make a steering column groan. If the bearing is worn I would expect it to be harder to turn the wheels because you no longer have the momentum of the vehicle and the rolling tires to help you.

Always gets interesting when people post questions on a forum, you ask them simple questions in an attempt to help, they reply with everything other than the answer to your questions, declare 1/4 of the vehicle not to be the issue, then take it in for service, never to return

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote