Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > How Do You Fix This? > Technical Issues

Old 02-23-2004, 11:13 PM   #1
Speedycop
Banned

Default No spark condition on '97 SL2 with 173k---please help!

I installed one coil pack, and swapped out the other two, thinking if one was bad, it might prevent the other from working. I still get no spark. All of the fuses are good. I read every thread I could find on this forum after doing a search on ignition, but I wanted to get a few opinions before I go spend more money on an ignition module. Should that be the problem? Who carries them? How much should I expect to pay? Thanks for your help!

Speedycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 02:13 AM   #2
onefast94sc2

Location: spring hill, tennessee(right behind the saturn plant)

try the crank postion sensor in the back if the engine right by the starter if it goes out you wont get e reference signal for spark no idea on price though
Old 02-24-2004, 11:03 PM   #3
Speedycop
Banned

I put in a new crank sensor, and even tried another ignition module, and another set of coil packs. What else could be causing this? I've had it with this thing!!!!!

Could the ECU be bad?
Old 02-24-2004, 11:37 PM   #4
Anony00GT

Could be a bad ECU. Could also be a broken wire and/or short somewhere between the ECU and coil packs.

This may sound dumb, but did you check your fuses and relays?
1996 Saturn SC2 <----- SOLD
Anony00GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:21 AM   #5
Speedycop
Banned

I checked them---repeatedly. I guess I'll have to change the ECU out. Where is it? Front passenger kick panel?
Old 02-25-2004, 01:02 AM   #6
Ssicarman

For the cost of a PCM it may be worth gettng the car to a Saturn store and see what they say.
Was the original reason for swapping coils a no spark condition?
Old 02-25-2004, 07:31 PM   #7
Speedycop
Banned

Yes. I bought it at auction as a No-Run, and while everything looks ok, I can't get a psark. I'll be trying a used ECM next---my buddy has connections at local yards, and can try it out, and return it if that doesn't fix it.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:16 AM   #8
wolfman

Get the DIS module as well. (It's under the coilpacks)
Old 03-01-2004, 03:47 AM   #9
Ssicarman

Time to dig up wiring diagrams and start checking for powers and grounds to the ignition module. Not mention if the module is getting the right (any) signal from the crank sensor. Make sure that all of the wiring is good and that the connectors in the entire system are good.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:47 AM   #10
wolfman

A break down of a Saturn ignition system. The CPS sends a pulsed reference signal to the DIS module which in turn also sends it to the PCM. The PCM uses this reference signal to tell the coil packs when to fire the plugs. Provided the CPS and coilpacks are sound, the problem MUST lie with the DIS module, PCM or the POWER SUPPLIES or wiring going to or from them. No offence, but you are throwing parts at the car instead of doing a complete diagnostic. MAKE SURE that the DIS module and PCM have POWER going to them. That being the case, CONFIRM that the wires running from the DIS module to the PCM are unbroken and suppling siganals to/from the two. Take the time to trouble shoot the ignition completely and correctly and the problem will show itself, the system is just not all that complicated.