Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > How Do You Fix This? > Technical Issues

Old 06-18-2004, 05:15 AM   #1
Satyllac

Default Clutch Bleeding

It must be possible to bleed the slave cylinder assembly on the clutch of an S-Series... right? If anyone has experience with this, help would be much appreciated.

Old 06-18-2004, 09:08 AM   #2
budiceman0

Default bleeding

I thought it was possible but stock its a complete unit meant to be a throw away and cannot be bled. new from the dealer i think the complete unit is 110 or something like that its easy to install and you dont even have to mess with bleeding.

Ice
budiceman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 02:30 AM   #3
Satyllac

The only thing is, I don't want to have to buy a new one...

I recently got a working one from a junkyard for $20, and I'd rather bleed this one than buy a brand new one from the dealer.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:39 AM   #4
Ssicarman

If you need to bleed it it is not a working one, sorry. If you got one from an old enough model then there may be an allen key screw on the slave cylinder part and you may be able to bleed it that way. Not many have any great luck with it though. Is it actually in the car and not producing pressure?
Old 06-19-2004, 06:36 AM   #5
budiceman0

Default clutch

I thought it was a set screw on mine but it was a metal pin. 20 bucks from a junk yard not to shabby I just stripped down a car so I saved the one that was in there incase its needed..

Ice
budiceman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 07:03 PM   #6
Satyllac

Here's how it all happened... While pulling out the old motor, the clutch master/slave cylinder assembly was the only thing that was still attached. On the end of the master clutch cylinder, the little plastic piece that connects to the tubing broke off, thus ruining the master cylinder.

So... I went to the local junkyard and scrounged around, and found a couple of them. I picked the best looking one and pulled it out. Now we've got a good master cylinder hooked up to a good slave cylinder.

It's apparently holding pressure, but it hasn't been tested in the car yet, so with any luck it'll work just fine. I'm just trying to save myself an extra $90 or so...
Old 06-20-2004, 09:24 PM   #7
Robert-sl2

besides the previously mentioned systems with the allen screw in them, there is NO way to bleed the system. They are not meant to be taken apart, serviced, and put back together either. The entire clutch hydraulic system is a disposable part, replace the whole thing at once. so you may have done more harm than good by mixing and matching parts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(no longer mine)
Proud Owner of a 2005 Storm Grey Saturn Vue
Robert-sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:52 AM   #8
Satyllac

Aha! It works! Its a master cylinder from a 1st Gen SL2, and a slave cylinder from a 97 SC2. It all works just as it should... No problems at all... The next time a Saturn dealer tells you to buy their 'hydraulic clutch assembly' for over $100... Just go to the local junkyard and find the part you need... It'll save you tons.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:59 PM   #9
Satyllac

And Saturnspeed rips on this board (sometimes for good reasons however)... I feel sorry for this poor ripped-off bastard: http://saturnspeed.com/yabbse/index....threadid=19168