Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Modifications > Products

Old 11-01-2004, 03:05 AM   #1
netverkin

Default Can You Swap 9006 with 9005?

I was just wondering. What is the difference with the high beams and the low beams? I know the lows are 9006 and the highs are 9005 and the wattage is like 10 difference and the tops are coated different.

With that in mind what would happen if you put 9005 bulbs where the 9006 bulbs should be? Brighter light? melt stuff? Im just curious because I got a pair a PIAA 9005 bulbs 60W -> 110W but I have no need to put them in for high beams because i just changed them recently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

netverkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:21 AM   #2
Robert-sl2

The reflectors on the low beam housing and high beam housing aim the light in a specific area. If you put a brighter bulb in the low beam reflector, you are going to be aiming more light into the faces of oncoming traffic. So the main thing is safety, they would not melt the housing (it is the same plastic through the whole thing) but that you would be blinding oncoming traffic and people looking in their rear view mirrors.

*NOTE* Everything I said above is said assuming your headlights are aimed properly to start with.

(no longer mine)
Proud Owner of a 2005 Storm Grey Saturn Vue
Robert-sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:38 AM   #3
netverkin

Good to know, thanks a lot So would you say it would be "safe" to lower my headlights and use these bulbs or they are just overly bright in general to other traffic?

netverkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:50 AM   #4
Robert-sl2

I would say to bright in general. plus your headlights are aimed the way they are for a reason, optimal functionality (sounds technical hehe) and y that I mean so you can see the best for safety (the reason you have headlights to start with). I would just stick with the stock wattage and play with different color temperatures (color of the light, more white, more blue more purple etc) if you want something different or brighter.

(no longer mine)
Proud Owner of a 2005 Storm Grey Saturn Vue
Robert-sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 06:29 AM   #5
Malice Racing

the low beams and high beams are not interchangable. the plugs are different.

you would nned to swap the actual brackets on the headlight buckets, then make a wiring harness adaptor.

i once attempted to move my low beams into my inside lights, since my race only CAI takes up the driver's side light bucket. didn't work too well though.

'95 SL1
'94 SW2 RallySport: DESTROYED BY HURRICANE
For Sale:
'95 SL2, new paint $2900
Malice Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 06:43 PM   #6
my99sl1

i put the high beam bulbs where my low beams were and i got a warning from a state trooper in MN for "To bright of headlights"

my99sl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 07:09 PM   #7
impulse93

if you need that much more light, go to satfans and look up wolfman's hi-lo at the same time for drls.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #8
williamjames262
Banned

9005 can fit in a 9006 socket but 9006 will not fit in a 9005 socket. the plug might be different but will work 100%. Also, 9006 is only use in low beams and 9005 is use for both. HID will be the same output. They both use 12v and output 35w or 55w depending on the kit.