Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Modifications > Performance Modifications

Old 11-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
Skutt

Question Performance parts & other stuff (97 SC2)

I have a 97' SC2 that we bought a few years back. My wife and I needed quick new wheels that day with the cash we had in our pockets that day. I don't do credit and payments. I believe in the easy one payment plan. Anyway we found this 97' SC2, nicely equipped with 130,000 miles on it. We picked it up for just $1100.00. It needed some TLC but the body was straight, interior is good, AC works, etc. Now I am using it as my commuter car and it needs new exhaust. I could just replace the flex pipe off the header and call it good but I would rather modify it a little, for performance. Make the engine breath as best it can. The little car surprises me already with how it gets up and scoots, I mean when I want to pass someone I better have the car pointed to a clear spot on the road before I mash the throttle or I just might mash some bumpers. I have not done this with a 4 cylinder before. I am old school, grew up with V8's. I could use some suggestion about where and what to buy for a Saturn 1.9L DOHC.

Skutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:44 PM   #2
goaliemo
Community Moderator

Good question. Might have to have something custom made. I don't think there is to much made for the S series car anymore.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:14 AM   #3
derfderf

unfortunately there was never much aftermarket support for saturns even back in the day. People would do custom exhausts which would sound good, probably help the engine breathe better, but the fact of the matter is, unless you tubro it up (which involves cobbling together turbo system components and custom fabrication), or go through the entire system from true CAI, larger throttle body, higher volume injectors, polishing and porting, headers, cams ............you're not going to see much of a HP or performance increase.

I also own a 97SC2. It's peppy and like you said you can put it right into a spot on the road you need to. It's also a 124hp 4cyl with no way to tune without external controllers.

Basically what I'm saying is that there aren't any cost effective paths to significant performance enhancement with these cars. I know it is not what you want to hear but sadly it's true. Anything can be done with enough money; the question is --- does it make sense to do it? And on a 17 yr old car......

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:25 AM   #4
goaliemo
Community Moderator

I have read that in several areas. I'm sure if you look, you could find a CAI and have a custom exhaust made, but like derf said, is it really worth it?
OR
If you have money to blow, do an LSJ swap into it, and youll have a crazy quick s-car. That also involves quite a bit of custom fabrication and rewiring.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
Old 11-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
Skutt

well, I wasn't looking to spend a bundle or to do a bunch of fabrication so..... I guess ill just put on the new exhaust parts and call it good. The car has a lot of good miles left in it so I don't want to let it turn into a pile of junk. Just thought it might be fun if it could be done cheap and easy. It uses too much oil and I think that is simply the nature of these engines but I also think it needs new valve seals. I can do that job at home without pulling the head.
Skutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
goaliemo
Community Moderator

Cool, let us know how it turns out.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion