Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn L-Series

Old 11-06-2014, 01:46 AM   #1
Staxman

Question Saturn L instrument lights

I'm not completely satisfied with the instrument lights in my '03 L200. Yes, I have them turned up to full brightness.

I'm not sure if light is falling on the instrument faces, coming through from behind the faces, or both. But the tach and temperature gauge are definitely brighter than the speedo and gas gauge (other side of the cluster). Also, it's really hard to see the pointers at night. I can see the (also red) pointers in my '87 Audi 4000 much more easily. Ditto the instrument pointers in my brother's '03 Honda Accord, in which I was a passenger a couple weeks ago.

Any idea where to start? I hope I'm not in for a new body control module. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
derfderf

not familiar in any way w l series dash lights, but usually there are just bulbs mounted in there which burn out over time and leave an unevenly lit dash. The area of light that each bulb covers is probably designed so that they at least slightly overlap in coverage.

My 97 SC2 has a bunch of bulbs out in different locations on the dash. The result? Since some of them are right over the tach and to the left of it, the tach is quite dim at night b/c the only light shining on it is from the side of the bulb nearest to it---which was not designed to light the tach.

So even though you have it turned all the way up, if you have relatively dark zones it is likely related to the situation described above.

If the needles were designed to light and don't, again a bulb issue. I would think these dashes did not include lit needles.

To address, you'll need to get in there and find what's burnt out and replace. Not sure if bulb type is in the owner's manual or not; sure you'll find it on the internet.

I highly recommend you replace ALL bulbs while you're in there, since the others are 12 yrs old. Also, be gentle with the instrument cluster panel after you put the new bulbs in it -- physical shock may weaken the filaments in the new bulbs and shorten their lives.

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
goaliemo
Community Moderator

I agree, just go ahead and replace all bulbs. It will be much easier being the dash is a pain to take apart.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:54 AM   #4
Eli47

I have an '03 LW200 and the lights for my temp control are dying. I can't seem to locate replacements. It was recommended to change the Bosch bulbs to LED's. I noted that some bulbs are 12V and others are 3V. keeping in mind that the voltage varies in relation to the light dimmer.
Does anyone have an idea where to locate replacement bulbs? Are there any replacement parts available anywhere? I can't seem to locate the actual part numbers for the 2 different bulbs that are being used in the Temperature control panel, or replacement suggestions besides what I mentioned above.
Can anyone help?
Old 08-02-2016, 03:37 AM   #5
derfderf

have you actually pulled them for visual comparison to other bulbs?

Old 08-03-2016, 09:01 PM   #6
Eli47

Yes I did pull them out for inspection. I noted 2 different types of bulbs which are different size than the instrument cluster bulbs.
I tested the voltage on both, noting 12V on the backlight bulbs and 3V on the bulbs used on the buttons.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:18 AM   #7
derfderf

Sorry -- you mentioned that before, but it did not come through clearly.

Your best luck will either be with a longtime parts counter guy at a Chevy parts counter or a knowledgeable old parts counter guy at a NAPA. They are likely to ID them by site and/or offer true equivalents.

If you do get this sorted out, please come back to the forum and list which bulbs you ended up using

Thanks