Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn ION > Saturn ION - Technical

Old 05-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
jhunt361

Question Looking for HELP....

Hello everyone,
I hope someone can help me, I own a 2004 Saturn Ion and this is my only ride at the time. It will start from under the hood and run for about 10 seconds then quit, but it will not start from the key switch. someone took an automatic out of this car, the engine was running perfect. Then they put a five speed in it and now the car wont start and run. I love this little car but it has me worried.

jhunt361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
derfderf

goalie--pls move to ion tech section.

I'm assuming you mean it starts with starting fluid in the throttle body, uses that up, then quits, and will not start on its own from the driver's seat.

It's been through an auto to 5 speed swap, not all that uncommon these days. That may or may not have something to do with it, depending on how thorough the previous owner/swapper was.

I'll assume you bought it running and are now stranded.
How did the car stop running? While driving? Between uses?

Have you checked for codes? Do a loan a tool from Autozone or similar and post the codes (Pxxxx where xxxx is a four digit number). Post the codes, not the descriptions.

If it runs with starting fluid we know it's getting SOME spark to somewhere, though not how strong. Starting fluid is easily combustible and doesn't take much to igniite.

If it is generating spark, it should also be allowing the injectors to shoot fuel (air fuel mix actually) into the cylinders. I am presuming crank position sensor is therefore ok (though I may be wrong on this)

After one of your failed cranking attempts, pull a spark plug and tell us what it looks like and what it smells like (is it oil soaked, fuel soaked, neither, etc).

I have my suspicions but don't want to make any more assumptions than I already have to get to where I have.

Please tell me if any of the above made assumptions are incorrect.

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
goaliemo
Community Moderator

Golden question:
Was it swapped from another 04 and did he swap the bcm so the car reads its a 5 speed now?

And yes, this is being moved to the Ion Section.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:43 AM   #4
jhunt361

Default Sorry I haven't gotten back to you.

I've been having water trouble and haven't had time to do anything else for a week or so. This little car starts if you cross the starter over but the key switch wont crank the engine. If I cross the starter over it will run about 10 seconds then quit like you cut the key off. The man that made the switch to a five speed told me he did change the computer to the one out of the five speed car, but he doesn't have the one he took out. Again sorry I haven't gotten back to you.
jhunt361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:01 AM   #5
goaliemo
Community Moderator

Hm. I don't understand why it was done if it didn't need it.
Anyway.
The only thing I can think of is that it was not from an 04, and that's why it wont start. You might have to take it to the dealer to have the computer flashed for it.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote