Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn S-Series

Old 05-22-2015, 05:55 AM   #1
JDC

Default Couple of questions

Question 1

How smooth can the S cars be at idle? I've forgotten if mine was ever totally vibration free. The vibration I feel now is pretty minor but I feel it most in the steering wheel at idle and in my...errrr...where I sit when the car is idling.

I've already replaced plugs. wires, fuel filter and cleaned the throttle body.

My first inclination is motor mounts and I'm having a fellow forum member do those in a few days.

Like I said, the vibration is more a nuisance now than anything else and MAYBE I felt it 100% of the time until I put new tires on the other day. At first I thought there was a wheel balance problem but I was wrong. They are fine.

Even though I only feel it at idle, I figured I may as well get ahead of it though before it turns into something less benign.

In the recesses of my mind it seems as if I felt this on another car, many years ago and it turned out to be the valves. I'd much rather it was the motor mounts lol

Question 2..derf....the picure on your forum page shows a car with a bra of some sort. What kind is it (the bra not the car!). I have a stone chip a little larger than a round pencil eraser on my hood and it is all the way down to the metal. Not too much of a problem here in Las Vegas. It's either dry out or covered (or both). But, when I go up to Seattle it's gonna get rained on (that's how the rock chip got rusty in the first place).

I'm all ears

JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:13 AM   #2
goaliemo
Community Moderator

Well, the 92 I had vibrated horribly.
But I also blew it up.

I would lean towards motor/tranny mounts. Hope its not the valves.
Derf wears bra's, too. Because driver mod.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #3
JDC

Billy

I'm with you...I sure hope it's the mounts. I'll find out on Tuesday morning. Keeping my fingers crossed.

If new mounts don't make any difference I'll just learn to live with it (probably what I ought to do, anyway !). I suppose that I ought not expect my little Saturn to be as smooth as my mom's car (which cost a bunch more than my SW2).
Old 05-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
derfderf

Sorry, just saw this

vibration is likely from upper torque axis mount on pass side of engine. Also
no need to replace others unless they are damaged. Just be sure to follow proper procedure for replacement which includes loosening the lower torque axis mount. And get new mounting studs to match the mount. They changed designs over the years

This vibration is felt in the cabin and usually worst at idle.

my 97SC2 purrs like a kitten. As long as you maintain everything, your idle should be quite steady at 850-900 rpm (M/T) and something a bit lower for A/T. No misses, no vac leaks, etc = smooth smooth smooth.

As for bra on the 95, it's an OEM Saturn bra. 2nd one in 20 years.
Poor option for the vehicle. No matter what you do, dirt and water gets trapped under there and between that and not letting the paint breathe or see the light of day, the, area on the front of the hood is yellowed crazed white paint. I used to remove and wash/wax under there but eventually it became futile.

The more you remove and reinstall that hood piece, the faster the corners start to tear as it is an extremely tight fit.

The front part is also troublesome in that it snaps in place with snaps provided w the kit -- and like many metals, it rusts. It's also a tight fit so the snaps are under constant tension. I've had one snap rust together and tear right out of the wheel well plastic. The rest are equally nasty such that I dare not try to remove any of the snaps for fear of breakage and the inability to reattach it to the car.

Finally, the headlight covers are insanely tight. That's great for protection but again, the more you take them on and off, the faster you develop holes at the sharp corners of the headlight covers.

I would sooner sand and paint your chip than go out and find one of these. And it's likely to be used and rusted.

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:23 AM   #5
JDC

Hi guys

UPDATE

Yesterday I had the upper mount and the passenger side dogbone replaced. It helped minimally. I called to make an appointment with a shop right around the corner.

When I got into the car, this morning, to drive the couple of blocks to the auto shop it felt like I was in a cheap motel (not that I'd know what one of those is like). Everything was vibrating like one of those coin operated vibrating beds...you know, like the ones you *hear* are in those types of places lol

As it turned out the shop replaced the transmission and dogbone mounts (which I could have had a member, here, do yesterday but didn't...my bad call on that one). Runs much more smoothly now.

I'm *guessing* what happened is that the new mounts absorbed their "share" of the load and put the rest of the load all on partially worn trans mount and dogbone causing them to fail.

On to the next "adventure" in Saturnland !
Old 05-28-2015, 07:29 AM   #6
derfderf

Driver side dogbone is mostly for positioning (so I'm told) and bears no real weight.

The fact that you indicate that the ride was worse AFTER you installed the 2 new torque axis mounts makes me wonder if the parts were crappy or if you clamped the engine in a non neutral position before tightening them down, which will create a vibration-mobile.

Now TRANNY mount -- that's a fun one. Yes they wear out. They are a b*tch to change without a lift. Ask me how I know.....

Old 05-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #7
JDC

Now TRANNY mount -- that's a fun one. Yes they wear out.

That's also what both men who worked on the car told me. I'm guessing that the guy who installed the transmission mount probably figured.."Why have three new mounts, here, and one old one?" and may have changed the dogbone proactively.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:42 AM   #8
derfderf

All I remember is cursing and bloody fiingers

Old 06-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #9
2001SL

Hope you got your questions answered.
2001SL is offline   Reply With Quote