Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn S-Series > Saturn S-Series - Technical

Old 05-24-2015, 12:32 AM   #1
desi123

Default Led

Hi everyone! I have a 1995 Saturn SL2 and am having some problems with the highbeams. I converted them to Led but the DRL's also run on them. I have posted on another forum called Saturn Fans. Here is the tread from the other website if you guys want to see the answers that have been given already: saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208171
I am posting this here now as its a different crowd of people and people that might know more. Thanks

desi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:35 AM   #2
goaliemo
Community Moderator

Welcome to the Spot.
Please stop by the New Member section and introduce yourself.
Unlike Saturn Fans, I try to keep this as a tight group of people who are not here for a one time post type deal.

As I do not know much about wiring, or really how the S-Cars are wired compared to the Ions, I have never tried an LED swap into headlights like that.

It makes complete sense though as the LED requires a higher voltage than the 6v that the high beam needs.
Have you thought about doing an HID retro instead of LEDs?
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:15 PM   #3
desi123

Default Re: Led

Well technically those HID retrofit kits are illegal because the reflector and mirrors and stuff are not meant for HID on the original headlight.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:25 PM   #4
desi123

Anyone have any info?
Old 05-26-2015, 02:31 AM   #5
goaliemo
Community Moderator

Depends on the location.
Here they are legal up to a certain wattage, and that is how they are coming stock in most cars now.

Surprised Derf hasn't chimed in yet. He normally knows a lot of ins and outs of the S-cars
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:46 AM   #6
derfderf

Sorry.....a bit late to the game

What problems are you having?
Please describe them from memory, not your other post.
I don't care about the other thread for right now.
I want YOU to tell ME (caps for emphasis, not yelling) the technical nature of the issue without referring to anything else you have already written.

Why?

Because we're starting at step 1. Trying to step in at step 4 which depended on a specific subset of 3 of the 5 assumptions in Step 2 not being false becomes most problematic.......

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:25 AM   #7
desi123

Ok so I have been switching all my lights in my car over to LED lights. So far I have changed all the tail lights and all the headlights to led. I have done the whole exterior except for the factory fog lights. I week or so ago I changed the high beams over to LED, as you know the DRL's run on the high beam bulbs. The high beams work perfect when turned on. When the car is on without the engine running the DRL's work at a very low light much lower then normal. Sometimes they work at the normal DRL intensity but when they do they usually start flickering and go off. When I start the car They don't work and the DRL light is off on the dash. Sometimes they will work but usually not. A few days ago I decided to follow richpin06's video on how to disable DRL for testing purposes by bending the one prong on the DRL relay. It was all fine but when I turned on the fog lights the DRL light on the dash came on and the DRL's came on flickering. I turned off the car and the lights and was going to come in and tell you guys about it when I noticed the drivers side DRL was flickering so low it was barley noticeable, so I went back to the car and turned the lights back on I noticed I didn't turn off the fog light button. I was reading some stuff online about using a decoder of some sort that connects to the plug of the high beam light. What the SaturnFans forum was telling me was the polarity being reversed for the DRL's although that's how it works for incandescent bulbs it may be pissing off the LED's . I really like the LED lights as they are better for seeing at night and with my father driving the car its a safety thing. SaturnFans was telling me about something I can do by cutting a wire plugging in a socket to the low beam and that makes me nervous as I don't want to start cutting wires and find out it didn't do anything to fix the problem. Another suggestion was to put a bridge rectifier on the right headlight. Thanks
Old 05-27-2015, 04:27 AM   #8
desi123

Forgot to mention I live in British Columbia Canada.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:30 AM   #9
derfderf

wow....that's a healthy slam of a 1st post on the topic....
but that's what I asked for -- except now I know what's in the other post.

First of all, unfortunately I have no background in lighting conversion. I do, however have a background in electronics, so I may be of some assistance -- or I may not.....

If the issue is polarity of the voltage being applied across the bulb, then yes, an LED will refuse to work. LED stands for light emitting diode.

Diodes by design pass current in one direction and block the flow of current in the other.

If the high beams work as they should 100% of the time, then that is the polarity you want across the bulb in both hi beam and DRL operational modes (duh).

To ensure you end up with the desired result, I'd engage high beams pull both hi beam bulbs and measure the voltage drop with the + (red) lead on the center contact of the socket and the - (black) lead on the side ground tab on one of them . Note the reading AND THE POLARITY (+6 vs -6).

1) What voltage do you measure (and with what polarity (+-))?

Now turn off the lights and get the car on a flat surface, put it in neutral, and with the engine running, release the parking brake, this engaging DRL mode.

Repeat the voltage measurements, minding your leads correctly.

2) what V do you measure (and with what polarity (+/-))?

If the polarities for the readings obtained are opposite, then yes, the current is flowing in the opposite direction for DRL operation vs hi beam operation.

This doesn't matter on an incandescent or halogen bulb as the filament doesn't care which way the current runs.

But it makes all the difference if the "bulbs" are diode-based

An interaction between the Hi beam and fog light circuits is expected, since you can have only 1 of the 2 on at a time. And we know the high beam and DRL circuits control the same bulbs, so an interaction betw the fog lamps and DRL circuit does not surprise me, though I will have to think about why the DRL light came on on the dash -- unless it had to do with the relay bypass.

That's all for tonight. I have to replace 4 cabinet hinges in the kitchen and neatly wire my new wifi router and local PC before the sun comes up.

If you still have that relay pin bent, please put everything back to normal or we won't be seeing normal fog light / DRL interactions --if any.

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #10
desi123

It looks as though the polarity is reversed. Do you guys know if they make a non polarity dependent led High Beam/DRL bulb?