Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn ION

Old 06-02-2015, 04:38 AM   #1
uluz2a6

Default How often are you changing timing set on 2.2 engines?

I have been picking up a lot of Ions and L series with 2.2 engines that have failed timing chains that wipe out valves at least and sometimes take out pistons too. 160K seems to be the most common odometer reading on the majority of them . The most recent is an 04 L300 with only 130K. Car has several old oil receipts in glove box showing about 5K between changes.

How often are you all changing yours?

uluz2a6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:00 AM   #2
goaliemo
Community Moderator

I actually haven't changed mine on either Ion, yet.
I seem to recall reading that they generally need them done around 150k.
My 03 has 121xxx and my 06 has 125xxx, so im expecting it soon.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
derfderf

I believe there was/is a recall on some of those vehicles due to faulty tensioners or something of that nature.

Most people who own an Ion or L car with a timing chain don't even think about it as it's not part of the listed maintenance. The S car engines can go a long time on the original chain provided you keep up with the oil changes.

I guess the answer to that question is the one you just provided us -- we SHOULD be changing timing chains guides and tensioners before 150K.

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"

Last edited by derfderf; 06-02-2015 at 08:57 AM..
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:54 PM   #4
uluz2a6

I believe the S series had a suggested 80K replacement. Then the machining of the oil pump cover to lube chain extended it. They gave an increasing warning sound as they stretched out before finally jumping or snapping. The Ecotec chains evidently are quieter, as most reports mirror each other. Most claim sitting at an intersection and when light goes green the mild acceleration just ends. No compression on the 2 cylinders that went up when valves were open. Tow to a garage to learn of the cost of engine repair.

I have a 2007 with 135K and even with a stethoscope, I cannot her any sonic difference in my timing set vs the Ecotec in stall next to it with zero miles on it. So perhaps the claims are accurate. I have a lot of trouble believing the S series claims of no warning prior to rotating destruction. They give plenty of heads up warning before they explode.

Don't get me wrong, I need these to people to ignore warning signs still. I have bills to pay. S L or Ion, they are very affordable post failure. Most people laugh when they are presented with cost estimate to repair the result of the lack of maintenance. That's where I come in.
uluz2a6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:34 AM   #5
goaliemo
Community Moderator

My 03 has been perfectly maintained since the day it left the lot.
My 06, I doubt it. But I am expecting it to go out on there before my 03 just because it has probably been neglected most of its life.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
derfderf

S Series -- 80K CHAIN replacement -- nope. Not a chance. That's an interval for a cheap timing BELT. I have a copy of an original saturn recommended maintenance card somewhere --it ain't on there.

I'm at almost 250K on a 95 and a 97 SC2 -- no chain noise.
If it does break, I think I've gotten my money's worth.

I will agree that an informed longtime s car owner will know when something sounds different under the hood and will trace it to the timing chain area.

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote