Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Modifications > Performance Modifications

Old 08-12-2015, 08:08 PM   #11
goaliemo
Community Moderator

If you are near Louisiana, I would love to help!
Work on getting that post count up so you can post some pictures, I am ready to see this car!

And yes, a build thread is a must!

92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:19 AM   #12
avarusbrightfyre

Ah, ok. I saw the Laminova intercooler when I looked before, but the way they worded it seemed like it was saying it worked with one, not that it included one. I tend to read into things, lol.

Is there a good start to finish guide on all of this that you guys would recommend? Obviously the supercharger part is easy since it comes in a kit and it all mostly bolts on, but I need to start pricing out how much upgrading the internals will cost, which means I need a complete list of what needs an upgrade to avoid eventually destroying the engine. And I may as well save up for the exhaust system while I'm at it. No sense throwing on boost with a stock exhaust.
avarusbrightfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:21 AM   #13
avarusbrightfyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliemo View Post
If you are near Louisiana, I would love to help!
Work on getting that post count up so you can post some pictures, I am ready to see this car!

And yes, a build thread is a must!
I'm in San Diego. I'd love to do this project, just need to save up the cash! I've only ever owned Saturns and I love them, so it'd be great to finally do a project on one.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:37 AM   #14
07sataura

ive had two saturns both have been awsome cars buddy same boat i'd love to buy an old school sc2 again and tinker around with it eventually..., i use to get clowned on down here for liking saturns but u should always do what u like not what everyone else thinks.. plus its unique especially with saturns rarer to see, the problem is finding a good shape sc2 for the right price point and right kms down here., but right now i'm focusing all on building up the aura.
07sataura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:45 AM   #15
goaliemo
Community Moderator

The laminova cores are built into the intake manifold for extra cooling.
redline forums and cobalt ss dot net has a lot of information about the supercharged set up.

Here is a really good thread on building an LE5: http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-g...through-80620/

As far as building a motor goes, I cant really help as I have not built one yet.
But for a good supercharger set up to go with, I can. I am around the 260whp range with mine (I have a redline though).

I can post what I think would be an ideal set up on the m62 for a built 2.4 if you would like.

Same goes for me, I own 3 Ions, and I have 2 parts car Ions that im using to work on my 3 good ones. So if you need any body parts, interior parts, etc. Let me know, I can sell em cheap, and work through paypal so both parties are safe.

Anyway, I was raised in Saturns. Mom and dad had multiple S cars before going to a Vue (totaled) and my 03 (mom is the original owner). I have since bought a 92 SL1 (I blew it up, it was to far gone) an 04 Ion, and an 06 Ion Redline.

I love the "what, why a Saturn?" question, oh to much. Lmao
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
Old 08-13-2015, 07:35 AM   #16
07sataura

lol ik man ppl don't get understand our love for saturns but i feel its no different then the honda guys only sticking to hondas it just u wanna work on saturns thats what u like uk..., i hope to eventually find a little sc2 to tinker with down the road... maybe even get one thats manual and learn manual i would even be happy finding a decent redline to learn manual on...
Old 08-13-2015, 08:01 AM   #17
goaliemo
Community Moderator

I have 2 extra l61s in my back yard. I really wanna eco swap either a 95 coupe or a late 90s wagon. That wont be until I have more experience, time, and money though.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion
Old 08-14-2015, 12:37 AM   #18
avarusbrightfyre

My first Saturn (and first vehicle, too!) was a '91 SL2 sedan which I loved a lot. It was pretty fast for a family car and fun to drive. When I joined the Corps in 02 I needed a newer vehicle for reliability, so I sold it and bought a '99 SC2 coupe (blackberry color...pretty nice) and did a few mods on it: nice body kit, K&N intake and an upgraded exhaust/muffler along with a short-throw shifter. I bought an F-150 after that and had it for a few years, but shortly after I bought it gas in Cali jumped over $4/gallon and I missed having a manual so I got back into the '07 Ion I have now. It used to be faster, but it's an old car now and needs attention in the performance department. Going to be a few months before I can even get started on it. I'll get around to taking a picture of it so you guys can see the starting point.

My tentative plan is to do engine internals first, then the exhaust and muffler, then the supercharger kit. That way everything is all set for the supercharger when I buy it and I don't have to worry about engine damage. After that it's a stronger clutch so the extra power doesn't burn out the old stock one when I put down the power followed by some minor suspension work and brake upgrades (rear disc brake conversion!).

I'd like to do some extensive interior upgrades like sporty gauges and maybe better seats. Not full on racing seats, but something a little more stable. Obviously a short-throw shifter and a badass knob are a must and nice looking pedals. I'll figure the interior out as I go.

I haven't decided whether I'm going to do any exterior visual changes. The idea is I want it to be a sleeper, so it doesn't make sense to make it look all racy on the outside...and I don't really want every cop I drive by watching my every move. At the same time, though, I like body kits and the stock appearance is really boring, so I may buy a modest but somewhat aggressive kit to square out the bottom a bit and throw on a small spoiler.

All of this is of course contingent on me being able to get together the money and finding a space to work on the car. I live in an apartment complex right now, so working on all this isn't an easy thing to work out right now. Going to be at least early next year before I can get started, so I have time to figure that out.

So yeah....lol.

Current: 2007 Saturn ION 2.4L Coupe - Stock....so far

Previous: 1999 Saturn SC2, 1991 Saturn SL2
Old 08-14-2015, 03:42 AM   #19
07sataura

Sounds like a good laid out plan man, modifying cars Def takes time my custom Coupe I worked on for over 10 yrs, now I'm starting on the aura. Only advice I have is take your time do it slowly and think it out, the auras goin take a lot more tlc then the Coupe. So on top of modifying I. Gotta handle some maintenence on it with some rust, chips, fender damage due to my own stupidity lol..
Old 08-14-2015, 05:33 AM   #20
goaliemo
Community Moderator

I like that we have modders on here now, this is where my interest sparks

Honestly, I would start with suspension. Tweak with that a bit. My recommendation would be either fe3 or fe5 shocks and struts.
Fe3s are from the Redline/Cobalt SS/SC. They are a bit stiffer than the stock fe1 suspension on the Ions, but not as stiff as the fe5s.
Fe5s are from the 08-10 Cobalt SS/TC. Super stiff, but handle VERY well. Its what I use on my Redline, and use fe3s on my 03 Ion that I daily.
I prefer the SSC/Canuck Motorsports springs. Squares off the body nicely, but isn't to low to where every rock scrapes your bumper. I have pictures in my redline thread.

For the rear disc swap, watch craigslist/junk yard for someone parting out a redline or cobalt ss. Not only is the rear beam bigger, but you would get the rear disk and with that, you would need the brake lines to go with it.

Interior- ZZP makes a very nice a-pillar gauge pod in black (don't know what color your interior is) single, double, or triple. I am currently running an interceptor gauge. I have a boost gauge and oil pressure gauge waiting to go on (although the oil pressure doesn't matter in this set up, I just liked the gauge).
Seats- The recaros in the redline/cobalt are a bit stiff, but comfortable. Designed for racing. If youre looking for the sporty feel, without the outright look, definitely look for some cobalt ss/tc (08-10) seats. I believe they are a suede/leather. They look really nice and from what I hear, extremely comfortable.

From a good bit of research, I feel short throws are a waste in our cars, more so for appearance, but its personal preference. I have used one, and didn't notice a difference at all, to be completely honest. But a lot of people like the Hurst/OTTP one.

Exhaust- Flow is everything. I can link you to a really good thread on the redline forum going into full detail on flow for ecotecs if you would like.
From a lot of research, its been proven that a long tube header, 3 in downpipe (I would do catted, because catless sounds like crap) and a 3 in cat-back is the best exhaust we could run. I wish I would have seen that before I bought mine.

ZZP will be your best friend when it comes to building your motor. It would probably be cheaper to have them build it for you, and just ship it, compared to buying everything individually. Unless you have time to drive to Michigan and drop the car off for a weekend.

I actually read a thread a while back, 7k got this dude from florida a trip to Michigan, his motor built, gauges and clutch done, and a twin charge kit thrown on (back when zzp was twincharging our platform). That 7k was everything. Hotel, food, motor, twincharge kit, clutch, gauge, and labor. If you think about it, that isn't bad at all.

And wait, you have a wingless coupe? that's pretty hard to come by. Im jealous.
What color is your car? I have 2 extra low rise spoilers I would sell. 1 black, one a maroon color. The black one is from a coupe, the maroon is a sedan wing (they have different low rises for each).

Exterior, just lower it, throw some fog lights in if you don't have em, and retro fit the headlights. I feel like the body kits for the Ions look like they are meant for a ricer. Just my opinion on that.
92 SL1-Sold
04 Ion