Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > How Do You Fix This?

Old 04-16-2016, 09:33 PM   #1
MisturMoogle

Default Security System Issue

I have a 97' 2 door SC series, it's identical to my profile pic.

Tuesday I drove the car without issue and did not drive it on Wednesday. I went to go to work Thursday and the car would not start, I could hear the fuel pump prime like normal but the fuel Gage did not jump to normal levels like it usually does and the starter was clicking like the battery was dead. I came from work and jump the car and it cranked right up. I went to leave for work Friday and again it would not crank, but this time everything was dead. No instrument panel lights, fuel pump did not prime, the clock on the radio wasn't even showing. Then I heard the ticking.. right rear panel behind the seat. I removed it and the Saturn Security System black box was ticking. I've done some internet searching and reading and the only stuff I have found is about the system triggering from using the RKE improperly. I do not have a RKE yet the system is being triggered and has completely killed my battery. Now what I can say is my electronic door lock switch had gone out and stopped working for both doors and I'm replacing them both tomorrow when the parts arrive at the part store.

So the question is.. could the switch going out have anything to do with the system triggering or is there another issue here? Also my floor latch will no longer open the truck which stopped when this current issue arose. Now it is an electronic latch so that could also just be chalked up to a dead battery. I have not checked any fuses because I do not know which ones to actually check, I'm not good when it comes to automotive electronics. So if anyone has some ideas the help will be greatly appreciated

MisturMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:36 AM   #2
derfderf

I also own a 97 SC2 (since new)

Throughout the 252K mi logged on this car, I have never had an issue with the security system which consists only of a starter disable circuit.

this security circuit is present in 97-99 SC2s with RKE and WITHOUT RKE.
Check owner's manual regarding how to arm.
Also check owner's manual on how to reset.

The security relay (which is nothing more than an ignition cutoff relay) may be flaking out and require replacement.

HOWEVER, from everything else you describe, I suspect your battery or the connections are the source of all evil.
Loose or corroded battery terminals (also check for terminal attachment at battery ) , poor grounding of neg battery cable to car frame, loose connections or acid wicking up the leads can cause the same type of symptoms, right down to the door lock switches and security system flake out.

Whenever I have to lift the ground or both terminals to work on my 97, as soon as the neg terminal starts to get loose and the connections become intermittent, the power door locks start chattering as the relays in that circuit do not respond well to the on and off voltage situation. The relay in the security system may have been damaged, or more likely the battery connections are the issue or the battery is going bad (not holding a charge).
After the alarm times out, check your owner's manual and follow the procedure for resetting the car's starter disable system. Involves turning the key in the ignition and waiting 30 min -- CHECK THE DIRECTIONS --the order of steps is critical

_____

Also, not enough V/current from the battery will prevent the electric trunk lid actuator from functioning

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:55 AM   #3
derfderf

Hello????????

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote