Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn L-Series

Old 05-31-2016, 11:12 PM   #1
Vancouverisland93

Default Saturn Ls1/Ls2 head swap?

Hello, I recently picked up a 2001 ls1 with 90,000 miles on it, it's a manual.
I happen to have an 97 ls2 parts car with 160,000 miles on it sitting in my back yard.
They are both manuals and I'm wondering if it's an easy job to do a head swap? I don't want to pull either motors out completely but I can pull the parts car motor if need be, just wondering if I'd have to do much wiring or not? I don't want a difficult job as I'm just a backyard mechanic haha.

Essentially I want to throw that dohc into a sohc but I won't want to wreck it haha.

Vancouverisland93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
derfderf

There is no such thing as a 97ls2.

Do you mean 97 SL2 and 2001 SL1 -- S cars, not L cars?

97 DOHC into a 2001 SL1???

Hmmm...

Considerations:
1)Will it bolt in? yes
2)What about PCM/BCM/wiring, etc?

a)Well the 2001 has a BCM in it; 97 doesn't.
So can't use the 97 PCM because it want's to control everything in the car whereas in 2001, the BCM was responsible for everything except engine and tranny control. Even if you used the 97 SL2 wiring harness and PCM, I would expect things not to work if simply for the fact that there are things like the mechanical odometer in 97 that would sync up with the electronic circuit in place to drive the digital odometer -- whose mileage is stored in the BCM --which wouldn't exist.....

Conclusion: No 97 SL2 PCM

b) So can this work with a 2001 SL1 PCM, BCM, and wiring harness?

1)2001 SL1 BCM
Not sure if there is a difference betw SL1 and SL2 BCMs. In programming, I would assume so due to different features on the cars.

2)2001 SL1 PCM
Will need to replace with a 2000-2002 ish SL2 DOHC PCM to properly control the engine. The question is, what does the 2000 ish DOHC PCM need as inputs, and are they all available as sensor outputs from a 97 SL2. Answer? Dunno.

c) Intake Mani and Fuel system
Unfortunately you cannot just take your IM off the 97 SL2 and bolt on the 2001 IM. It will NOT fit. I suppose you could try leaving the 97 IM on it, but then I believe the 2001 fuel rail from the returnless fuel system of the 2001 will not cooperate with the 97 IM. Plus the 97 has a fuel return line back to the tank for which there is no provision if you tried to swap in the 97 fuel rail

d)Exhaust Mani

When moving the 97 engine into the 2001, you'd have to keep the 97 EM because I believe the bolt number and location changed. I know they did for the DOHC, so I'm thinking you can't snag the one off the 2001 SL1 engine and slap it on.

e) Tranny

Oh and you'd want to swap in an MP3 DOHC tranny to replace your MP2 SOHC 5 spd tranny to best enjoy the DOHC experience. Others have done the engine swap w out swapping trannys and say it's fine, but if you're not going to mate shift points w the power curve of the engine, what's the point?

grrrr I stopped here b/c it's getting messy

----------
The additional research to determine if this swap can be done semi-properly is probably as much work as doing the actual swap itself.

I've contributed what I know. Hopefully someone else will come along and fill in the gaps or prove me wrong.

Please let us know if you decide to finish the research and do the swap.

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:25 AM   #3
Vancouverisland93

Default Thank you

This sounds insanely complicated, you sound extremely brilliant.
I'd say I'm going to stick to keeping it stock in that case, too much work I have an 89 dodge with the original non-intercooled cummins that is a lot easier to work on everything's mechanical!

I appreciate your input and apologize for semi wasting some of your time thank you for an honest opinion with a knowledgable background!
Old 06-04-2016, 05:33 PM   #4
derfderf

No problem.

And not a waste of my time -- I enjoy trying to sort out things like this. It really challenges what you know of S car interchangeability. There are swap guides on the net which I made some use of, as I have no reason to memorize all of it.

Swap questions are always fun and I almost always learn something new in the process.

Peace

Derf

Old 06-12-2016, 10:33 PM   #5
Vancouverisland93

Default Hey

Since your familiar with saturns this car is at 150k and it is starting to burn oil and quite a startling rate I think it burnt a litre and a half in 1300 km any ideas?
On the bright side I got my class 1 drivers license the other day!
Old 06-15-2016, 02:30 AM   #6
derfderf

Do you mean the 97SL2? I thought that was the parts (non running) car.
Please clarify which of your rides you're referring to.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #7
Vancouverisland93

My 2001 is burning oil I had a temp sensor and fan failure which resulted in the coolant boiling I fixed that problem, thank god for a parts car! And now my 2001 sohc is burning oil
Old 06-16-2016, 05:14 AM   #8
derfderf

That's about 3 qts in 2500 mi.

Back in the day, Saturn dealerships would say that 3 qts/3K mi was "within spec". Yeah, right.

Some have had luck with Seafoam and/or Marvel's Mystery Oil (MMO).
Directions for use are on the respective products. The idea is to try to free up the oil control rings that have frozen in place in their channels in the pistons, rendering them less capable to control oil seepage into the cyls. Also gets rid of carbon buildup I do believe.

In general, if you keep feeding it oil and doing reg oil changes and maintenance, the SL1's have been known to go over 300K mi