Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn S-Series > Saturn S-Series - Technical

Old 07-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #1
blue02

Default Normal operating temperature

I have a 2002 SL with 215k on it. I've owned it for 8 years and put most of those miles on it. Fought a few weird little gremlins, but its been an awesome car, I'll drive it another 8 years if it will last that long.

I have always wondered if it ran a little cold though. It runs barley over the 1/4 mark on the temp gauge. Never gets over that unless it is sitting idling in the heat.

Is that the normal temp or is my car running cool?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg saturn temp.jpg (290.5 KB, 0 views)
blue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:25 AM   #2
derfderf

That's just a tiny bit below the gauge reading of my 1997 SC2 which I drove off the lot in 96. If you get good heat in the winter (yes it's slow) and there are no performance issues (probs starting, probs starting when hot, hesitations, bad gas mileage, bogging down....) and it idles smoothly at 800-900 5spd and a bit lower for A/T, I think it is fine.

Folks w low temp issues (thermostat stuck wide open) tend to have temp gauge readings below the 1st 1/4 tick and driveability issues.

Does it throw any codes?
-------

I believe 2002 was the only year GM used the 2nd design all brass ECTS, so I do not believe it requires changing out out.

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
blue02

That's what I thought.

Other than crankshaft position sensor codes (I replaced one around 100k miles and again at 200k) no codes other than misfires. I think that issue was due to some problems bogging down in the past, primarily due to using platinum plugs that didn't agree with this car.

The car is still easily bogged down, but cleaning the egr valve, throttle body, and corrosion on the coils/control module over the years have kept it smooth.
blue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #4
derfderf

What? Preventive maintenance?

Hey, there are like 10 of us now....spread the word........

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote