Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > How Do You Fix This? > Technical Issues

Old 08-08-2016, 06:31 AM   #1
thfatal1

Default Vue 2.2 ecotec head gasket

I'm replacing the head gasket in my 2002 Vue. Is it possible to remove the head without removing the timing chain and cover?

thfatal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
derfderf

If the cam sprockets are attached to the cams (which are in the head), how would you get the chain off, back on, and retime the engine?

The chain has no slack....

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
thfatal1

Yes the chains are attached to the sprockets which are attached to the head. That's what I'm wondering. Can I remove the sprockets, support the chain, and pull the head out and put it back without actually removing the whole chain and timing cover?
thfatal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:26 AM   #4
derfderf

How would you get to the cam sprockets to remove them with the timing cover in place?

Not being sarcastic here, but what is the big deal with removing the timing cover and chain?

There are oodles of how to's on many forums and in Chilton's and Haynes Manuals with step by step instructions on how to time the engine and properly and reseal the timing cover.

Plus, with the cover off you can inspect the chain, sprockets and chain tensioner for proper operation and signs of wear.

You can also rotate the engine to #1 TDC and see that the timing marks line up. TAKE A VIDEO of the chain area AND the piston position. Then you have a direct reference of how things were before disassembly.

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote