Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > How Do You Fix This?

Old 10-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #1
Dwn2earth

Default 97 saturn sl2 cleaned egr now smokes from tailpipe

Like most problems i hear about my saturn was burning a lot of oil and had a bunch of carbon build up. I decide to clean egr but after i put it back on it started smoking from.exhaust at first it was blueish gray but now its white. I change the head gasket even though i didnt think that it was the problem but still smokes. Is it possible its all the carbon build up or the egr that is build into head is cracked or something?Any input would help please share
Thanks

Dwn2earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:07 AM   #2
derfderf

Mileage?

Ironically, I just finished cleaning my egr tonight on my 97 SC2 to deal with a P1404 code that keeps coming back. Talk about filthy.

The pintle could move up and down but not without alot of resistance. Carbon carbon carbon. And this one is not an oil burner.

Removed it and soaked innards with carb n choke cleaner. Used a T15 Torx driver to gently rotate and push in and out on the pintle. Good pushback.

Did you spray any cleaner into the ports to which the egr connects? The ports didn't look too bad but I gave them a good dousing, then started the engine with the egr off. Loud as hell but blew a bunch of brownish gunk onto the side of my cam cover and the engine lift hook.

Was the pintle moving freely all the way in and out when you reinstalled it?

If it happened IMMEDIATELY after reinstallation, I suspect some part of the pintle mechanism or the electronics that control its position were damaged, and the EGR is stuck CLOSED, which means that very little of what used to get sent back through the system to be reburned is now doing so. So what you are seeing is the exhaust that results from no recirculation of exhaust gases. Black smoke means you're running rich and blue smoke is indicative of oil getting into the combustion chamber, and white exhaust is either coolant getting into the combustion chamber or it is steam, which goes away if you let the car warm up. It is cooling off this time of year so if it is getting near freezing at night you might be able to see this more easily b c of the ambient temps.

If you did not have coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant, then I doubt it was a head gasket issue. You also did not mention using up a bunch of coolant, so again I do not believe it is a head gasket issue.

The part of the block where the egr mounts (at least on an s series) has no cooling channels right nearby so I doubt that is where coolant could get into the exhaust stream.
-------
Silly question -- did you remember to plug the egr electrical connector back in?

Is the "service engine soon light on?"
------

Do a rent a tool from Autozone or similar and do a compression check on all cylinders. Google the RIGHT way to do a compression test (there are many wrong ways that give you crap results. Easier for you to research and print out than for me to explain.

Post the results and we'll see what's what.

And please don't post the same question in multiple sections -- if you get answers on both it is impossible to follow. Please delete the other one. Thanks

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"

Last edited by derfderf; 10-24-2016 at 06:12 AM..
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:21 PM   #3
derfderf

Any progress?

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote