Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn Vue

Old 11-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #1
thfatal1

Default Cabin air diverter malfunction

Not sure what to call it, but I'm calling it the air diverter. When i turn the selecter knob to defrost, most of the air blows on the floor. The air still blows hot. Had this problem last year. Couple times, it worked right, but as soon as i moved the selector to something else, it wouldn't go back again. Any ideas?

thfatal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:42 PM   #2
derfderf

There is usually a "switching door" or series of them that is connected to a cable which is in turn connected through some linkage to the slider that selects which area of the vehicle gets the air. The cable is probably bound up due to no lubrication between it and the sheath around it and will require replacement.

Off the top of my head, I THINK this is a common issue on the older Vues (you did not state year) before they went solid state on the controls and the doors were motor driven.

But do some more searching on other Saturn forums and see if I am correct.

If you plan to keep the vehicle and you disassemble the dash for cable repair, be sure to check on condition of everything you can get to as you probably don't want to have to open the dash a second time.

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:16 AM   #3
derfderf

Any progress?

Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 PM   #4
thfatal1

Thanks for the reply. It's a 2002 vue, 2.2l. Not long after the original post, it switched properly to defrost. I haven't moved it from there since as i need it through the winter. You say it's behind the dash? Where do i go in to access it?
thfatal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:45 AM   #5
derfderf

Sorry -- I do not know the mechanicals of the older views. I'm thinking you pull off the top of the dash and get access to a whole mess of stuff.

But that is not an answer to your question.

You may be able to go to an online GM parts store and find the exploded diagram of the HVAC system to get an approximate location.

I'm sure it is out there on the net or on another saturn forum, maybe saturnfans, saturnforum, or sixthsphere.

or in a chilton's/Haynes manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thfatal1 View Post
Thanks for the reply. It's a 2002 vue, 2.2l. Not long after the original post, it switched properly to defrost. I haven't moved it from there since as i need it through the winter. You say it's behind the dash? Where do i go in to access it?